Differential interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differential interchange

I have two Dana 44 rear-ends and would like to use one in my Wagonaire rebuild. One is a tapered axle posi unit. The other is a flanged axle non-posi. I would like to have a flanged axle posi. Do the internal parts (clutch packs, crown, pinion, etc) fit between the two carriers using the proper axles?

Or are they both strong enough to handle about 400 hp? And will an aftermarket disc brake kit fit either.

Thanks,

Norm

Ring and pinion are the same but that's about it. Parts from the flange TT will not work in the tapered open carrier.
    There may be a some parts interchangeable between the two types of TT carriers but the the sides gears between the two are different as is the case. The horse power question I'll differ to someone more knowledgeable on the subject.
    Myself I would not use either with 400 hp. Definitely not the flange axles as they are smaller and don't believe they would take a lot of abuse.

Comment

The tapered and flanged axle rears will not interchange as the taper are 19 spline and the flanged are 27 I believe. Neither will stand 400 hp if you plan on doing many standing start launches. Ask Richard Poe. His R 1 four speed Lark broke the flanged which should be stronger than the tapered.

Ted

quote:Originally posted by StudeNorm

I have two Dana 44 rear-ends and would like to use one in my Wagonaire rebuild. One is a tapered axle posi unit. The other is a flanged axle non-posi. I would like to have a flanged axle posi. Do the internal parts (clutch packs, crown, pinion, etc) fit between the two carriers using the proper axles?

Or are they both strong enough to handle about 400 hp? And will an aftermarket disc brake kit fit either.

Thanks,

Norm

Comment

The Flanged rear axle I just installed in my R3 Avanti had 19 spline axles and I used a 4.09TT unit, the outer bearings however were VERY different and in fact are no longer available as are the inner seals(which were leather). Fortunately this axle was NOS so the bearings and seals were coated in grease were in excellent shape. Be careful about using that flanged axle if you can't find replacement bearings and seals.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by HNCadet

The Flanged rear axle I just installed in my R3 Avanti had 19 spline axles and I used a 4.09TT unit, the outer bearings however were VERY different and in fact are no longer available as are the inner seals(which were leather). Fortunately this axle was NOS so the bearings and seals were coated in grease were in excellent shape. Be careful about using that flanged axle if you can't find replacement bearings and seals.
          The R 3 Dana flanged axles and the later Avanti II (early 70's) axles were 19 spline but much beefier than the flanged axles used in the '65 and '66 cars.

Ted

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

I think I will use the tapered posi set and give the flanged away with what's left of the parts car.

I talked to a buddy who says generally the higher the number of splines the stronger the axle. I have also heard this about Ford rear ends. He said the tapered Dana 44's were stronger but a lot more work to service (it took me 2 years to find a beefy enough puller). He will try to supply me with a gear set (3.73 or 3.92 if they fit) from a Jeep or? from his wrecking yard.

It can be useful to have a friend in the wrecking business...

Norm

Comment

The carriers are different 3.73 and down and 3.92 and up, just so you know.

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

"I talked to a buddy who says generally the higher the number of splines the stronger the axle"

AS I understand it strength of a spline lies in it minor diameter. Larger number of splines means a larger
                minor diameter as there appears to be some standard for this. For some reason, unknown to me, the 65-66 27 spline flanged axle has a smaller minor diameter. I have never seen a 19 spline flanged axle(not saying they don't exist). From about 1970 or so up dana 44 axles seem to be 30 spline flanged.

Comment

Greetings, SDCers,

Richard Poe must be making some serious horsepower in that Lark. One guess is he is overpowering the leaf springs and getting terminal axle hop. Some traction device, such as CalTracs, would save the axles as well as improve the ET.

FWIW, I've raced Dana 44s for more than forty years in Studebakers, Sunbeam Tigers, Jaguars, Corvettes and Chevys and NEVER broken a flanged axle. With anything other than the tapered axle in a Studebaker, I'd have no worries about any part of a Dana 44 in a street-driven car. Put slicks and enough horsepower and it is possible to break a Dana 60. I even saw a 10-second Dodge/Cummings twist off a Dana 70. Of course, it weighs 5000# and more than 1000 lbs/ft of torque.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                  PackardV8

Comment

So, what's the best solution? 44 TT with the alloy axle upgrade kit from Fairborn?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I believe that the bearing used on the R3 axle is the same as one of the bearings used on a Ford back in the late 50's or early 60's. I don't remember which, there were some that were larger but I found one that looked like the correct one.

David L
                      David L

Comment

Working...
                      X