Oops problem with Vintage Air brackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oops problem with Vintage Air brackets

I am way behind on my project and thought since I was doing a lot of other things I would put on the AC kit I have had for a couple of years. Well, after powder coating the brackets and doing the initial setup I see that my heater hose pipe off the water pump manifold is right where the AC compressor sits. This must be unique either to '64 or to R series cars. Anyone have a suggestion what to do. How is this pipe held in place, solder?

Thanks

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

That pipe should just be screwed in...
    Studebaker plugged that hole and drilled another in the boss on the other side of the manifold. In '63/'64, the heater hose came off the back of the RIGHT head (passenger side).
    Drilling/tapping the water manifold is pretty easy, but I don't like routing the heater hoses across the engine. It's not too difficult to add a 90 degree fitting to the plate on the right-rear head, but space is tight.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
    Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

N8, added the hose at the rear of the head as Ray suggested.

JDP/Maryland
      "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
      Thomas Jefferson
      JDP Maryland

Comment

That bracket was designed to have the heater hose slide on a short straight nipple, not one with an elbow. Have installed quite a few of those brackets. no trouble mounting the compressor. I have (before that design) drilled and tapped the manifold on the driver side, even tho there was not a boss.

Ebon...
        [img][/img]

"I sweat to keep others cool"

Comment

The way Stude. did it is much better than the aftermarket "adapter" for the rear of the head used by Mark IV. Studebaker used the special water manifold as Ray tried to say that had the boss drilled and tapped on the left head runner and the right side plugged, almost true, they did not modify it, they used the correct one! But since both the rear of the head AND the top of the water manifold are the "hot" water heater INLETS you cannot use them BOTH! It is possible to use the same lower water manifold (water pump suction side) heater hose fitting for heater return water that you always use!

I can see that this engine has some kind of standoffs on the rocker arm stands to mount some kind of custom made high rise valve covers or something, an Aluminum Intake, R3 headers with Alternator mount bracket, and special Allen head screws all over the place, so I don't know if it is some exotic special R3 with Air AND supercharger or what, but it appears to have a stock Lark/Hawk water manifold from what I can see in those super close-up shots, so it should work like any ordinary Lark with an elbow in the left water manifold runner and a straight fitting on the lower right of the water manifold.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here's a pic of my '64 engine with the A/C btacket still on and the water manifold.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

It is not exotic, I just am doing a little customization on my R1. It has a polished Al manifold, R3 headers and the standoffs are the bracket setup that Fairborn sells to set the valve lash. You mount a magnetic standoff with a dial indicator, makes setting the lash easy and accurate. The heads are ones I have had for 15 years that were Chevy valve converted, ported and polished.

Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              58 C Cab
              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I got a low profile right angle heater hose fitting from Jerry Forrester. As a bonus, it's shiny, even though you have to lean waaaay over in there to see it. It barely fits; I think if you try to cobble something up with regular plumbing fittings it may not work at least on a C-K. I also had to use a wrench to tighten the hose clamp - wasn't enough space to put the worm between the hose and firewall.

I actually have the late style water manifold on my car with both tapped holes (both plugged now) if someone wants it for a "factory correct" A/C installation you're welcome to it - all that I ask is that you bring me a correct '55 water manifold and you swap it on! (I've had it off enough times already, which is why I just put pipe plugs in it. Sick of too much wrenching, not enough driving.)

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
                X