X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StudeMann
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

Studemann, are you sure that you don't have another factory mirror? There was more than one style most years.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."

52Fan,

I don't have an accessories catalogue so I'm just comparing it to the repro mirrors that SI sells. My mirror is the same shape and has the 'bullet' feature of the AC-1853 Strato-vu mirror (which was apparently often used on 47-52 Commanders & Land Cruisers) but doesn't have the reveal lines across the base; only some very shallow ridges on the projecting neck that run parallel to the door (similar to the ridges on AC-2728 Super-Vue in 53-58). My mirror looks ancient but the car was repainted by a PO over 35 years ago so maybe the mirror was installed at that time.

Cheers!

Jim

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"
    Fozzie Bear in 'The Muppet Movie'

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

Leave a comment:

• PlainBrownR2
    replied
    Regarding the headlights, remember this is ever so slightly better than it was before. If anyone remembers HID's, these are now illegal if they are offered as an aftermarket items for conversion from halogens. The lamps put use a 4 amps of light with a 2.5 amp ballast and transformer. These are high powered, high discharge lights, with a retina burning white lamp, that spurred a number of clones such as the blue-white lights and the ever so popular blue blue lights offered from the aftermarket. If they are factory items prior to December 2006 they can have the bulbs. The reason behind it was the bright white light was blinding the oncoming driver. I don't like the current offering of lights either(geeez can't people adjust headlights anymore with those blue-light bulbs), but it could be worse [)]

Yeah I had to install a passenger mirror for the Lark a few years ago. There was no drill holes, dimples, anything for the installation of the passenger mirror. It only had the big center mirror and the driver's side mirror. What's funny with our 63 is the mirrors have got their hallowed spot out on fenders. It's a two man operation to adjust the mirrors as one needs to sit in the driver's seat and the other needs instruction on which way the mirror needs to go. To reach them requires having arms ten feet long, so I think in that respect we're still wondering if its better having these mirrors or no mirrors as the mirrors cannot be adjusted in typical fashion from the driver's seat. [)]

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
    [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
    [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied
    Studemann, are you sure that you don't have another factory mirror? There was more than one style most years.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."

Leave a comment:

• 60studehawk
    replied
    If anyone needs a copy of the mounting instructions, let me know. I can e-mail you a copy.

Jeff Sheaffer
    60 Hawk

Leave a comment:

• StudeMann
    replied
    Interesting...

After seeing the service bulletin posted by Jeff I just checked the mirror on my 51 LC. Although it is very similar to the AC-1853 Strato-Vu mirror it is different in some respects and appears to be an after-market mirror. It is shaped like the strato-vu but the lines in the casting are different. Also, there is no screw at the front and is secured at the rear not by a screw but a rivet.

I need to replace the mirror because the silver on the back has almost dissappeared so I guess I'll be drilling some new holes no matter whether I use an original or a repro mirror.

Who'da thunk a simple thing like a rear view mirror would generate so much discussion?

Cheers!

Jim

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

Leave a comment:

• 60studehawk
    replied
    I found this while looking through some of my old service bullitens

Jeff Sheaffer
    60 Hawk

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by StudeMann
    My mirror appears to be secured from inside the door since there are no screws visible on the exterior.
    Many mirrors had a bracket that attached to the door from the outside, then the mirror fitted OVER the bracket and was held in place by a horizontal set screw that gripped the bracket.

Check yours out for a tiny horizontal set screw...usually in the front or rear of the mirror.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Leave a comment:

• StudeMann
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Yes you NOW have the correct mirror but, that car (door) appears to have been re-painted at least once and had probably three mirrors on it since new 58 years ago, the first or second of which, could very likely have been an aftermarket Sears, Montegomery Wards, Pep Boys, J.C. Whitney or whatever Part Store unit since cars never came with outside mirrors before the late 1960's or early 1970's. The last painter just neglected to fill and grind the holes before paint.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    Rich,

My 51 Land Cruiser mirror is similar to 50Champ's mirror except it has a sort of 'bullet' where the mirror joins the housing. SI sells repro mirrors that appear to mount from the exterior like 50Champ's. My mirror appears to be secured from inside the door since there are no screws visible on the exterior. Was this really a dealer-installed accessory? That seems like a lot of work to remove the door panel and possibly the glass to install the mirror.

Jim

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    don't even get me started on headlights... I just put some Cibie Z-beams in the '55 last Sunday, I'm a horrible scofflaw! (but at least I won't blind ya... unless I mean to)

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Thanks Clark, that window sticker is really neat history, the Canadian price stickers were a lot simpler than U.S. ones, no mention of engine size or 6 or 8, anywhere except the model code VY9.

Hey wait a minute! there is no Interior material type, Colour or exterior Coloure!
    How's my French/Canadian eh?

It of course proves that they somehow got around the DOT requirement of a side mirror you noted.

When I did a search for Dot requirements I got pages and pages of Dot decisions on exemptions for every import you can imagine, not meeting requirement and being exempted, "because they could be easily corrected"! No wonder Toyota got away with making all those inferior washed out orangish-red tail light lenses on all those '70's & 80's years on all the small pickups and never fixed it, they were not red enough when new, and didn't get any better with age!

Another useless organization! I guess that explains why we have to wear daytime sunglasses now to drive ahead of the new Lexus SUV's with 2 million candlepower blue-white headlights! UGH!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    The pic below of a window sticker for a '66 Cruiser was posted in another thread, but it clearly shows that the left-side mirror was an option!

(I love forensics like this!)

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
    www.studebakersandiego.com

Leave a comment:

• Retired
    replied
    I remember when most accessories were dealer installed , i.e. Heat, Music, Door mirror, oil filter, bumper guards,cigar lighter, floor protector mats, wind shield washer, rear window blinds, etc.

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

StudeRich
    For those of you wondering- no, that Glendale green Commander is not listed in my Registry!!!
    I do however know of one that looks an awful lot like one of the two below. [:0] It's hard to say~ they could be any one of several different models when you think about it...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
    San Diego, Ca.
    San Diego County SDC

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
    '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
    '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
    '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
    '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
    '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
    '55 PROTOTYPE panel van

edited for spelling... [V]
    sorry- got excited w/ '57s!!!

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    I guess that made Studes exempt, being built in Canada! Hmmm, if sold here they SHOULD meet U.S. Standards, anybody ever see any new '66 Stude. factory equipped with a mirror?

Or maybe the code was changed after March '66

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    Useless trivia: USDOT mandated the driver's side mirror beginning with the 1966 model year. Before that they were optional and usually dealer-installed.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Leave a comment:

Working...
X