Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Is this an original Studebaker mirror?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this an original Studebaker mirror?

I removed the rear view mirror from my driver's door today and noticed 3 extra holes under it so now I'm wondering if it's the original mirror. I can't adjust it properly to see behind me and have to lower my head several inches to see out of it. I'm not that tall (6 foot) so I don't think that's the problem. Could someone please tell me if this is the original mirror? If not does anyone have one for sale that I can adjust so I can see out if it? Thanks....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

quote:Originally posted by 50Champ

I removed the rear view mirror from my driver's door today and noticed 3 extra holes under it so now I'm wondering if it's the original mirror. I can't adjust it properly to see behind me and have to lower my head several inches to see out of it. I'm not that tall (6 foot) so I don't think that's the problem. Could someone please tell me if this is the original mirror? If not does anyone have one for sale that I can adjust so I can see out if it? Thanks....

It's an AC1400 I think. The SI book says it was used for 47-52, mostly on Champions.

Chip
    '63 Cruiser daily driver
    '57 Packard wagon almost on the road!
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Just like mine on '50 Champion W3

and I forgot to say, I can't see out mine either and I'm only 5'4". I have to stretch up just to see the mirror, much less see IN the mirror.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

like mine on a '47 Champion.

BRAD

Comment

I appreciate the info, but how do you explain the extra three holes? Are there any similar looking mirrors that I could use that I could actually see out of? What's more important-safety or originality? [?]

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

Possibly someone "upgraded" to this style from another that came on the car.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
            '63 F2/Lark Standard
            http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
            www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Looks to be the reproduction that is available. The original was probably in bad shape and got replaced. Several designs were originally available and were, for the most part, more adjustable than the repops.

When I redid my '51 I welded all the original holes. Then, after the car was painted, I positioned the new mirrors to maximize function. The passenger side is forever worthless and serves only as pretty trim.
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I buy and use Mustang mirror pairs sold on ebay.

BRAD
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-...spagenameZWDVW

I appreciate the info, but how do you explain the extra three holes? Are there any similar looking mirrors that I could use that I could actually see out of? What's more important-safety or originality? [?]

Comment

Adjustability on the re-pops has been an issue. Read their WARNING carefully in the SI catalog!

KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Yes you NOW have the correct mirror but, that car (door) appears to have been re-painted at least once and had probably three mirrors on it since new 58 years ago, the first or second of which, could very likely have been an aftermarket Sears, Montegomery Wards, Pep Boys, J.C. Whitney or whatever Part Store unit since cars never came with outside mirrors before the late 1960's or early 1970's. The last painter just neglected to fill and grind the holes before paint.

I removed the rear view mirror from my driver's door today and noticed 3 extra holes under it so now I'm wondering if it's the original mirror.
                    StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Avantidon, are you listening? Someone should write a retrospective article on Stude mirrors and their applications. I already have the title. "Studebaker Mirrors - A Look Back"

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________Rabid Snail Racing
                      Jim
                      Often in error, never in doubt
                      http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hmmmm, I guess Avantidon knows something about Studebaker side view mirrors that the rest of us don't? [?] Interesting!

StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich

Comment

I think it was Fred Fox that did a TW piece on mirrors a couple of years back. I know I've read it; I just don't remember which issue it was in.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                          '63 F2/Lark Standard
                          http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                          www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

StudeRich wrote:
                            " since cars never came with outside mirrors before the late 1960's or early 1970's."

Hello? What basis do you have for this statement[?][?]

Did you mean to say passenger side?

KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

NO, all outside mirrors were optional and many, if not most were delivered without. In the context of this forums' concern: 1966 and earlier Studebakers, there were NO side view mirrors standard, not even on one of the most standard optioned and one of the priciest cars they ever made, the Avanti!

The only car I can think of that did have mirrors standard, would be the only model Studebaker ever sold loaded only...the '55 Speedster! [:0]

It had to be well after they were out of the Automobile business that some DOT requirement caused LEFT side mirrors only to be required.

quote:Originally posted by kurtruk

Hello? What basis do you have for this statement[?][?]
                              Did you mean to say passenger side?KURTRUK

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                              X