63 Lark Master Cylinder ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Lark Master Cylinder ?

I believe the split master cylinder is bypassing internally in my newly aquired '63 Lark Convertible.

I adjusted the brakes, bled the system (twice)and the pedal is up but falls to the floor when I am stopped and depressing the pedal for a period of time. It takes about a minute or two to feel the pedal fall and seem to do it intermittently.

My question is this: What is the difference between a none power assisted split master and the vacuum assisted split system?

I am considering installing a power assisted system on the car in the near future and would like to get the proper set up.

I am a bit confused with SI parts book regarding which master cylinder to pick up. Here's the parts page:

part# 1559771 or part #1561611

1964 GT Hawk R2 Clone
    Oakville, Ontario.

Hamilton Chapter
    See you at Niagara 2008 Crossroads Zone Meet July 18-20
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

It may be best to speak with SI. The difference could just be the depth within the piston. They can look at both and provide measurements.

The difference could also be the bore. Power systems provide more "foot" pressure. SO the master cylinder doesn't have to be as large in diameter.

If I were going to switch to power, I would do it all at once.

So, I would rebuild the manual one or replace it now, if I couldn't afford to switch to power yet.

========================
    63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
    Martinez, CA

Comment

I seem to recall there is a 3/16" inch different in the throw between one of the years of Studebaker cowl mounted master cylinders. Perhaps Bob Palma or somebody else can clarify.

Comment

The No Pwr. 1559771 Dual M/C has a dust boot 1553420, Primary Piston & cup 1559704 and Secondary Piston & cup 1559705.

The Pwr. Bk. Dual M/C 1559772 has no dust boot, 1559717 Primary Piston & cup and 1559718 Secondary Piston & cup.

The bottom line is: the correct Power Brake Dual M/C 1559772 is NLA, the 771 for no Pwr. will not work, the 1561611 is for '64 is ALSO not for Pwr. Brakes and with different line sizes. NEITHER will work!

There is nothing available, you have to go to a brake warehouse and order a AMC unit per other posts here.

If you keep the manual system, I have new, fresh stock replacements for Stude. # 1559727 '63 Dual, Drum, No Pwr. Repair Kit.
        The '64 Dual M/C, does not have repair kits available.

quote:Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me

My question is this: What is the difference between a none power assisted split master and the vacuum assisted split system?
        part# 1559771 or part #1561611
        StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich.

I took the Lark down to a re-builder this afternoon and asked if he had a M/C available on the shelf. He was asking about the Lark and telling me his old Studebaker stories. I was complaining to him about our recent weather and now that the weather was nice I didn't want to have the Lark down for a week. He asked me to bring back the M/C before closing and that he would rebuild if for tomorrow morning.

I should have the M/C back in the Lark before noon tomorrow.

1964 GT Hawk R2 Clone
          Oakville, Ontario.

Hamilton Chapter
          See you at Niagara 2008 Crossroads Zone Meet July 18-20
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
          PSMCDR 2013
          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Working...