Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

backup lights wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backup lights wanted

Getting around to wiring up my 52 Stude. It will be a driver, so I really want some backup lights.
    I don't watch ebay much, but the last set I saw go by there ended up a bit more than I can pay right now.

Has anyone ever seen a generic set added on that look halfway decent? So far i haven't seen anything I like in whitneys and the like.
    Or anyone know of a stock Stude set a little less than perfect, that need to be rescued?

Dan
    52 hardtop
    www.studebakerhardtop.com

Peruse eBay for Guide B31's
    These were used on all kinds of cars(and Harleys too) - even the '59-'61 Hawks for front turn-signals. The lenses are clear glass- and will accept some pretty hot bulbs (I use 55watt foglight bulbs).. if your car is 12V. If 6-Volt still.. you should be able to find some bright(er) 6V bulbs to work.

These are a bit larger than what was originally used by Studebaker for '53-'56 C/Ks & sedans... but they should look fine on a Sedan.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
    Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Dan,

I have some early 50's vintage sitting out in the garage which I never used. It's only the shells and lenses, I think. I'll look tomorrow and get back to you.

Paul

Paul

In memory of Boris, the 1950 Land Cruiser project,
      . . . he became a down payment for. . .
      Natasha, the 1955 Speedster project

I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
      1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

Paul - cool. Let me know.
        I found a few things online yesterday that might work OK, but the correct ones would be my preference. I don't need more than the housings/lenses anyway. I'm going to do 100% new wiring and sockets this fall.

Dan
        52 hardtop

Comment

ebay is what I use for lighting.....also vintage fog lights.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...+31&category0=

Brad

Comment

Very original 52 Commander currently on ebay shown below. Outside of how weird it may or may not look....Is one reverse light factory? I've normally seen two.
            I ask because I am obtaining only one so far.

Dan
            52 hardtop

Comment

The above from an original 1950 Chanpion options brochure. Looks like
              two backup lights were the norm.

Dick Curtis
              Santa Barbara

1950 Champion Starlight
              1963 Hawk GT
              Santa Barbara
              CA

The 1950 Champion Starlight
              Santa Barbara
              CA

Comment

I have seen lots of Studes in your model range with one as well as two. I don't have my books at hand, but I suspect they were available both ways depending on how much the buyer wanted to spend.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

You didn't mention the price range you like, so this is just more info for you. I spent just over $200 on a pair of NOS about 6 months ago. Complete units including wire pigtails. And I've never seen a car with only one light, till this thread.

I shopped truckstops, trailer shops, everywhere I could think of for over 2 years before I found the Studebakers. I wouldn't accept anything else because of the curve in the body where they are mounted. Flat based bezels just wouldn't work right. Anyway, that's my story and I'm backing up to it.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Since I got home this evening, I checked my 1951-1954 parts book and there are accessory numbers for single and paired backup lights for each year.
                    The 53 parts car that's now in my yard only had one and appears all original.

Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I'm beginning to think that all Studebakers were hand made, one at a time. Long before mass production existed. Yup, that's what I'm thinking. Different engines, mirrors, lights, and that's just what I can think of that's current on the forum.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

If you've got the right parts books it makes more sense. In the early 50s cars were moving into a time when people wanted more accessories. Of course, the manufacturers were all happy to provide lots of dealer add-ons at a nice profit. [8D] We are now in a time when cars come loaded with packages that you pay for whether you want them all or not.

Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Michidan

Getting around to wiring up my 52 Stude. It will be a driver, so I really want some backup lights.
                          I don't watch ebay much, but the last set I saw go by there ended up a bit more than I can pay right now.

Has anyone ever seen a generic set added on that look halfway decent? So far i haven't seen anything I like in whitneys and the like.
                          Or anyone know of a stock Stude set a little less than perfect, that need to be rescued?

Dan
                          52 hardtop
                          Dan,

I have a set on my 51 Land Cruiser that you can have when I replace them with a set of NOS ones I bought from a local chapter member. The originals are not fuctioning but I haven't tried to figure out what's wrong. I'm busy working out bigger bugs. They need to be rechromed but aren't badly pitted and the glass is good. If you think you might be interested, let me know and I'll take some photos and post them for your perusal. If you want them, they would be yours for the shipping cost.

BTW, I knew of a Dan Branch when I went to college in Oklahoma City nearly 30 years ago, He was from San Antonio. You wouldn't be the same fellow, would you?

Cheers!

Jim

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"
                          Fozzie Bear in 'The Muppet Movie'

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                          Jim Mann
                          Victoria, B.C.
                          Canada
                          \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                          Jim Mann
                          Victoria, B.C.
                          Canada

Comment

StudeMann - I am interested becasue like Bob said, I haven't seen anything that fits or looks as good as the original style. And nope, I've never spent any time around Texas/Oklahoma.

Lets see...
                            So either 0, 1, or 2, backup lights might be found of a Stude from this era.
                            If I got yours, I would have 3, maybe I'll just put em all on to confuse things even further!

Seriously, just email me when you have time, I will take them. I am redoing the whole car wiring so I am sure I can get them working. Plus pitted chrome will match my pitted trunk handle the car proudly wears. These 52 hardtops just have too much darn pot metal, it will take me a while to get it all redone.

Dan
                            52 hardtop

Comment

Have you seen the new Scion SUV? One great big spot-light lookin' thing in the bumper at the left rear.

Dwain G.

Comment

Working...
                              X