Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Intake maniford choke heat tube connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake maniford choke heat tube connection

What is the correct way to connect the choke heat tube to the intake manifold? 59 Silver Hawk 259 with Carter 4 brl.

The tube appears to have copper wire wrapped around it, then solder added to form it to the manifold. Is this factory or a previous owner?

The connection was good at one time, but is now deformed and will not stay in place. I tried to reheat the solder, but that made it worse (solder flowed everywhere [:0].

Suggestions appreciated.

Dell
    59 Silver Hawk
    62 GT Hawk
    Dell
    59 Silver Hawk
    62 GT Hawk

All of the choke heat tubes I have seen are two part affairs. There is a tube coming out of the manifold and a matching tube coming down from the side of the carburetor that slides into the other tube. It is just a slide in fit on all the ones I have seen. From your description, it is difficult to understand which of these two tubes you refer to. If it is the tube coming from the side of the carb, just get a pre-made brake line of the proper size and bend a new one. It should be attached to the carb with a double flare fitting you can just unscrew. If it is the tube coming out of the manifold, I think it is a tight fit, but it should just pull out at an angle - it goes a little way down the center runner. You may have to lube it up a little to get it out. From your description, I suspect you are dealing with a previous owner's fix.

Comment

<Heresy Mode ON>

...or you could just retrofit an electric choke

</Heresy OFF>

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 F2/Lark Standard
      http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
      www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

This intake is different from your discription, this is before rebuild photo.

Who has seen this setup before?
        My problem is the copper pipe has come out of the manifold tube. The pipe is not a tight fit as mentioned above.

There is copper wire wrapped around the pipe (to make same diameter as the manifold tube) and it is solder fit into the manifold tube. When I try to re-solder, the solder just flows down into the manifold tube.

suggestions please for reconnecting, or is the copper wire with solder the correct way?

Dell
        59 Silver Hawk
        62 GT Hawk
        Dell
        59 Silver Hawk
        62 GT Hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by showbizkid

<Heresy Mode ON>

...or you could just retrofit an electric choke

</Heresy OFF>

Clark in San Diego
          '63 F2/Lark Standard
          Also interested on input about electric choke.

Dell
          59 Silver Hawk
          62 GT Hawk
          Dell
          59 Silver Hawk
          62 GT Hawk

Comment

Dell, I am NO expert on most things engine, BUT I sure wouldn't be putting any solder on that manifold!! Engine temp can melt it and it will just run downhill to wherever you don't need it to be. I learned about that tube on my 169/carter carb a while back and noticed that it was loose. My brother, the expert, said it was just fine that way cuz it just had to allow hot air to go uphill to the choke. Maybe you can just leave it stuck in there with the compression fitting holding it to the carb. From your pic and my level of knowledge, that is what I would (and did) do.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Unfortunately, it will not go back in (I deformed the solder when I heated it)
              current photo of manifold

There are two openings in the manifold tube. The second was attached to the distributer (someone must have thought it was a vacuum port.

Question is, where do I go from here?

Dell
              59 Silver Hawk
              62 GT Hawk
              Dell
              59 Silver Hawk
              62 GT Hawk

Comment

[u]'If' </u> you do put an electric choke coil on there....
                You can remove and plug the entire choke stove tube.
                A lot of people successfully use a carraige bolt with the squared corners rounded off to fit the hole in the heat crossover.
                Then use an all metal locknut on the inside to cinch down the bolt.
                The rounded head of the carraige bolt looks unobtrusive.
                You might also consider blocking the heat crossover if you are a warm weather Stude driver.
                If you block the heat crossover you must gut, wire open, or remove the heat riser valve on the RH exhaust manifold.
                Hope the info helps.
                Jeff[8D]

quote:
                Also interested on input about electric choke.
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Here are the two type of choke heat tubes I've seen on WCFB equipped Studes. In both cases, there are 2 tubes. The big one goes to the choke and the little one goes to the throat of the carb to draw filtered air into the choke stove.

The first is the early type. Pictured is a '55 President. This looks like the type you have. You are missing the little tube and the tube that attaches to the carb. The tube you have that attaches to the carb looks home made or poorly repaired.

The second picture is the later style. I think this is a 1960.

I believe either would work for your car, and it might be easier finding a manifold with the complete, undamaged set up rather than repairing yours.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Your Manifold should have looked like the Blue one Dick posted, but of course you would now have to re-install the elbow now missing for the cold start intake air heater tube to the top of the Carb. [:0]

These however are not your MAIN problem! What is wrong is that the copper tube was a owner made item! [V] The correct tube is a long curved arc STEEL tube with a 45 degree cut on the end that curves deep into the Head crossover port to pickup hot air, then has that same flare and compression nut to connect to the Choke unit.

I believe the Electric Choke option that was mentioned, is to simply replace the Carb. with a modern Edelbrock AFB clone, requiring a machine modified and drilled 2 Brl. Carb. Intake Manifold to fit same or a "Mickey Mouse" adapter.

Unless you got real lucky and happened to find a rare '63-'64 Stude. 4 Brl. Intake Manifold, all of which were originally made for the real Carter AFB! [^]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Doesn't his first pic show everything there, just not connected? Looks like that to me. I know that takes him back to getting a tube into the bigger hole, but he also has the smaller one available in the manifold.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Doesn't his first pic show everything there, just not connected? Looks like that to me. I know that takes him back to getting a tube into the bigger hole, but he also has the smaller one available in the manifold.
                        In the second picture of the finished manifold, the small tube is gone. Broken off? It will need to be tacked back on somehow.

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Here's a pic of my setup. As you can see, an electric choke's been added to the WCFB from a GM application, but the heat tube is still intact. (I should probably remove it and close up the ports.)

The portion of the tube where it enters the manifold tube is spring-loaded to press the collar to the manifold heat tube. I've removed the secondary nipple that connects to the carb, but you can see the unused carb port up and to the left.

Clark in San Diego
                          '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

There is/was a second tube. I still have it. It was bearly hanging on when I started the rebuild and it just fell off [V]

Originally it looked just like the blue manifold photo posted by Dick. If you look at my "before rebuild" photo, there are two tubes.

Dick, how does the pipe that goes to the choke connect to the manifold tube in the blue manifold photo?[?]

Another question, it the manifold choke tube supposed to be open? i.e. air flows through it? Or is it supposed to be plugged? Mine is plugged.

Dell
                            59 Silver Hawk
                            62 GT Hawk
                            Dell
                            59 Silver Hawk
                            62 GT Hawk

Comment

The second (smaller) pipe that connects via rubber tube to the carb is brazed into the main one that supplies heated air to the choke. Both of these tubes should be open.

The big pipe that enters the manifold should be closed at the end that enters the head.

Clark in San Diego
                              '63 F2/Lark Standard

Comment

Working...
                              X