64 Daytona vent window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Daytona vent window

Does anyone know a trick to make installation of the vent window in the frame on a 64 Daytona J-body hardtop easy? I have a new window frame and rubber weatherstrip and am trying to install the old window in the new frame. I have been unable to push the window down far enough in the frame to allow the pin at the top of the frame to engage the hole in the window assembly. The new rubber weatherstrip is relatively incompressible, and won't squish enough to allow the window to clear the upper pin.

The irony is that I replaced the weatherstrip on the other side years ago, but cannot remember how I did it. In that case, I just replaced the weatherstrip and re-used everything else.

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC
    Skip Lackie

I wonder if this another one of those William Fennesey pieces that is just a little too fat, like the C/K Windshield Seal?

That is, if you are talking about the actual vent window weather strip, and not the glass setting rubber strip. If that's your trouble, glass shops should have that, and could have thinner ones.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Skip,

Have you tried warming the weatherstrip? Leaving it out in the sun or warming it with a heat gun might soften it enough to get the glass in.

I looked at the new gaskets that I have. Possibly a razor trim of the bottom of the rectangular section below the glass may be necessary.

Jim Bradley
      Lewistown PA
      '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
      Jim Bradley
      Lake Monticello, VA
      '78 Avanti II
      sigpic

Comment

Both good thoughts. I'm talking about the rubber vent window weather strip that fits in the vent window frame. I no longer remember from whom I bought the weather strip -- I installed it in the new frame when I bought it, then laid it aside. I'm now just getting around to moving the vent window itself over and putting the whole assembly in the car.

I think I'll try trimming it a bit.

Skip Lackie
        Washington DC
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
        X