Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jjones
    replied
    No--new and clean custom made gas tank, but I don't think the little bees care either way.

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• ivorydan
    replied
    Rusty dirty gas tank.

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied
    If you had taken the fuel cap off when it stopped I guess you would have found it quickly. I was driving a friends VW dune buggy years ago when it sputtered and died. Since it did not have a fuel gauge I took the cap off to check the fuel level and heard the tank pop back. The engine restarted and we were off again! I don't know if they ever got a vented cap.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."

Leave a comment:

• jjones
    replied
    Well, I finally got it to quit again this afternoon. A simple solution: here in Arizona we have leaf cutter bees that love to cut chunks out of leaves and put them in small orifices to feed their pupae. This includes the vent to my gas tank. Seems like as the fuel got harder to pump, the electric fuel pump drew more and more amps and finally kicked the system circuit breaker. The vent is now clean with a screen over it. Wonder what will happen next?

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    A piece of debris floating around inside the fuel tank and temporarily blocking the pickup can cause exactly that problem. Some prankster may have dropped a piece of foil or plastic wrap in the fuel tank.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied
    I guess it was daylight when you came home? After checking all connections to the ignition switch, look at the light switch and grounds. Just a guess.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."

Leave a comment:

• jjones
    started a topic What the...?

What the...?

While driving to work this morning (4:30 AM) my 259-powered M seemed to run out of gas. It has an electric fuel pump that apparently quit. I pulled to the side of the road and replaced the fuse although it was dark and I couldn't see if it was good or bad. The truck started and ran for another 5 miles or so and then did it again. I replaced the fuse again but no fuel pump, and no electricity to the solonoid so no starter. Lights, gauges, and radio worked. Called the wife to take me to work (yeah, she wasn't happy) and came back this afternoon to get the truck. Dang thing started up and ran fine all the way home. All the fuses I replaced were good. I have checked all the wires and everything looks good. I cleaned all the grounds although they looked fine. The fuel pump pulls 8 amps fully loaded--it is rated at 15 so seems ok. Checked the switch and it seem fine too.

Any ideas--I have been building these things for almost 50 years and this is a first for me.

Jeff
Working...
X