Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StudHawk60
    replied
    Why would the factory bother shimming seats? Seems like more of a customer preference than anything else. Sounds like something more that a dealer would do for a customer.

Leave a comment:

• Chucks Stude
    replied
    My 62 had wooden blocks under the front seats, and has a wooden block spacing the parking brake handle from the dashboard. I replaced the wooden blocks under the seats with grade 8 bolts and grade 8 fender-washers. Don't need the seats going anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• barnlark
    replied
    Were these placed under the carpet to hide them, or just on top of the carpet by the factory?

Leave a comment:

• bondobilly
    replied
    When you pry up the rear of the seat, you change the leg room between the steering wheel and your legs. You also change the pitch of the seat cushion.

I have been futzing around with tons of combinations, and have yet to find one seating position that is good for both Ellen and myself.

There is also a difference in seating position between cars with and without Power Seats. The angle of the seat cushion tilts further backward and upward with PS over manual seats.

Leave a comment:

• Dan White
    replied
    Out of curiosity I called and talked to Dennis at SASCO about the seat spacers. He said that he also believed there was no part number for these as he has never found one, they were made of oak and unfortunately he did not have any. He said the proper term as he knew them was seat shims.

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT

Leave a comment:

• GTtim
    replied
    Some of those were under the seats in my Hawk also.

Tim K.
    '64 R2 GT Hawk

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    The picture matches those I've seen.

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson

Leave a comment:

• kurtruk
    replied

My '62 Gt had similar ones. I think they had been cut from plywood, and the PO carpeted each one! I removed them to better fit my 6'2" frame under the headliner and liked sitting back (Kinda like the kids do now).

KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Leave a comment:

• ivorydan
    replied
    I've seen them under the front bucket seat rear mounting bolts on several GT Hawks. They were definitely a Studebaker item, although I also never found them in the parts bokks. I don't know if the seats came that way from the factory, or if the dealers installed them as needed.

Leave a comment:

• Dan White
    replied
    Here is a picture of the one from my R2 Hawk:

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT

Leave a comment:

• mjeansonne
    replied
    I'm replacing the interior in our 1962 Hawk. I didn't take the seats out myself (that's another story for another time!) but while checking out the lay of the land, I did see a block of wood (but only one) about 1" thick and about 2"-3" lond with a 'u' shape cut out in the middle and a hole in it. I too wondered if this was a spacer block or not. I look forward to read more about this on this thread.

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by JDP

Th factory used U shaped wood blocks on some or all the Hawks.
    I've never found any (although I haven't removed the seats from that many)...and I can't find any listed in the parts manual.

Are you SURE the factory installed these? Could it be a customer had the dealer install some sort of spacer after complaining about the seating position or did it themselves?

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    They are just wood blocks, maybe 1/2 inch thick, 1 1/2 inch wide, by 3 inches long with a notch for the bolt.

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson

Leave a comment:

• Dan White
    replied
    My other Hawk does not have them. I guess I could make them or do any of the Studebaker vendors have NOS ones that anyone knows about?

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    I recall them under the rear with longer bolts.

JDP/Maryland
    Thomas Jefferson

Leave a comment:

Working...
X