No announcement yet.

Seized engine-hoping for a miracle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory is a sometime thing. I though it was in the later 60s. My error, first time tonight.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 442 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Wonder if Terri is coming back?

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I read years ago in HEMMINGS that the best thing to use is OLIVE OIL.

fstst56

Comment

I've roll started mine before. 10-15 mph and drop in low.

quote:Originally posted by JDP

You could not push start the Flight-O-Matics, no rear pump.

JDP/Maryland
          "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
          Thomas Jefferson
          63VY4 Leakin' Lena Hagerstown MD

Comment

You definitely cannot roll-start any automatic that doesn't have a rear pump. If a FOM has one or not, I don't know. Chevy's PowerGlide? Yes. And no. (depends on year). But I'm a Stude newbie.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Roll starting a late Flight-O-Matic? I'll take your word for it.

I DO know that you can boil the tranny fluid. Just let one of your brake booster lines clog up, and try pushing the car through a parade anyways. [xx(] You would've thought that our GT Hawk was built by Stanley Steamer.

Matthew Burnette
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Hi folks!

I have found all of your responses to be quite interesting and informative. Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge and experiences. I am currently letting the cylinders "soak" and I will be trying several of your suggestions. I am also shopping for a new engine as I am anxious to drive it and don't know if I can wait

Thanks again for all of your help!

Terri

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Terri Smith

Hi folks!

I have found all of your responses to be quite interesting and informative. Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge and experiences. I am currently letting the cylinders "soak" and I will be trying several of your suggestions. I am also shopping for a new engine as I am anxious to drive it and don't know if I can wait

Thanks again for all of your help!

Terri
                  Don't want to be a skunk coming to a party, but you should realize that any car thats sat long enough for the engine to seize will most likely require considerable mechanical repair before driving it, even if one swaps out the engine. Don't overlook all rubber brake system parts, fuel hoses,etc!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

You could not push start the Flight-O-Matics, no rear pump.

JDP/Maryland
                    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                    Thomas Jefferson
                    According to the '63 Owner's Guide, you can push start the automatics:

Automatics with rear pumps (like the Flightomatics) can be push started, autos without rear pumps cannot be push started.

Paul
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I used to roll start the '60 Hawk for FUN in college. I had to park
                      on a hill, and so after class I would just put it in gear and turn the
                      ignition on. Very graceful start, just slowly comes to life.

We push started my dad's '64 Powershift once when the Bendix blew up.

Tom
                      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Well crap, I thought they dropped the rear pump because you have to drop the shaft when towing. It show how dumb I am about automatics.

JDP/Maryland
                        Thomas Jefferson
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

Kent,
                          Thanks for adding that.. Your not being the skunk. As you well know, I found that out the hard way. Forewarned is forearmed.

Comment

Speaking of seized engines, I just got one unstuck yesterday, and today I heard it run. It was doing quite a bit of missing, so I pulled the valve covers, and found three stuck intake valves. I was able to get them all free, but cylinder #5 was a mighty struggle. After freeing the stuck valves, I ran it again, and it appears to be hitting on cylinders, but has bad blowby. Did develop oil pressure, which is good. I've just finished pulling the engine out of the parts car it was sitting in, and will tear it down and, at the very least, inspect it before attempting to put it in service.

The parts car it was in, a '59 Hawk, I DROVE to the place where it sat for several years. The engine wasn't properly covered, so it's my own fault it seized.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                            X