Adjusting the throttle rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting the throttle rod

Guys, I have gone through the shop manual cover to cover today and I cannot find the part where it gives instructions for properly adjusting the spring-loaded rod that goes from the throttle bellcrank to the carb linkage. (I have a v8, 4bbl car.)

Could anyone (a) point me to the proper pages in the manual, or (b) post instructions? It'd be much appreciated.

BTW, one more question: which hole on the bellcrank rod does the end of the throttle shaft attach to? The forward hole, or the one nearest the firewall?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

The correct hole to use is the one farthest from the centerline of the engine. The 4 bbl. carb is wider than a 2bbl. Lou Cote [8D]

Comment

The correct Bellcrank lever hole for a stock 4 Brl. WCFB or AFB is the forward one, on the end of the lever, it may not be the most outboard one. Aftermarket Carbs. could vary.

The adjustment is either outlined or referenced to in the Throttle pressure adjustment portion of the Flight-O-Matic Trans. Section, because it has to be done first before the throttle press. adjustment, if Auto. Trans. equipped.

Some functions of the adjustment are to allow for full wide-open throttle operation, full Idle with fast idle cam and choke off, to adjust height of the gas pedal and to allow a correct adjustment of the lower linkage rod, for throttle pressure adjustment on Auto. Trans. cars.
      The Bellcrank to Carb. rod is NOT to be used for Trans. throttle pressure adjustment. However it WILL change it, so re-adjustment of the Throttle Press. lower rod is required if you move it! [:0]

Added 8/18/08 opps forgot one: one of the main reasons for the "stretch rod" is to allow the pedal to be pushed beyond Carb. wide open throttle, to protect the Carb from damage AND to allow operation of Overdrive kickdown after wide open!

Wow, this thing may be often overlooked, but it IS a very important required piece of the design!

I remember changing my '54 Land Cruiser over from the funky coil spring "link" used on '51-'54 232's to the adjustable '55 type! [^]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich!

Clark in San Diego
        '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

On my 1949 champ sedan, I dont have the "stretch rod" that i see pictured in my manual> I do have overdrive (My car isnt currently running) but have tried to find one numerous times with no luck. Any suggestions?

Glendora, California

Comment

Help! I am having the devil's own time making this adjustment.

The manual says (for V8 4bbl. with FOM), to adjust the bellcrank stop at 17/64", and then to adjust the throttle rod so that the idle screw just barely comes off its stop. Here's where the trouble is: I've got my throttle rod adjusted ALL the way in, and it pushes the bellcrank open by about an inch! It seems like it's just way too long. What am I doing wrong? Is it possible I have the wrong throttle rod assembly for my application?

Clark in San Diego
            '63 F2/Lark Standard

Comment

Make sure you have the rod in the right hole in the bellcrank. There is a picture in the transmission section that shows the correct location. I've never been able to understand that line about adjusting the rod until it brings the idle screw off the stop.

Tim K.
              '64 R2 GT Hawk
              Tim K.
              \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

It is simple Tim, they are talking about the small screw and nut on the top of the Bellcrank, that should have the proper clearance from the lever to the stop screw, which is also adjustable. [^]

They do NOT mean the Carb. idle stop screw! [:0]

Yes, there are several rods and rod ends in the Parts Catalog, the two barrel rod end is bent 45 degrees, the four barrel is straight.

The rod end goes to the rear (bellcrank) and on the bottom of the bellcrank lever.

The spring loaded rod then would have to go forward, to the Carb. The correct parts should be in the '62V listing for a WCFB, as I think that is what you are running on your '63.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich, I thought that is what they meant. I just couldn't quite get my mind to make that leap thinking that they surely would have made a deliberate point clarifying that they were not talking about the carb idle screw.

Tim K.
                  '64 R2 GT Hawk
                  Tim K.
                  \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
                  X