Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Duracool Refrigerants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duracool Refrigerants

A friend of mine is a distributor of Duracool Refrigerants, Inc., corporate office Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. They consider themselves "the Recognized Leaders in Hydrocarbon Refrigerant Technology". I guess it's a more "green" product than other A/C products. He knows I read and post on sdc.com often and asked if I could post to see if others have experience with this product and what they think about it. As a distributor he is 'sold' on its qualities but again wanted to know if others on sdc.com have similar experience.

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

I don't have any experience with it.

Ebon Jones is the guru of AC on this forum. He posts here as railway. You might write him directly if he doesn't see this.

I did find this...

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/snap/refrigerants/hc-12a.html

Unless this is old, dated info, it looks like you can use it to replace HFC-134a, but not CFC-12 (Freon)...and maybe not be able to use it at all in cars in some states (it's flammable).

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

There are several brands of product like this. I believe I have used Duracool at least once. Really it's nothing more than a mixture of about 80% propane, and 20% butane, sold in cans that can be connected to the recharge port on your A/C system. They have cans of compressor oil as well.

It cools just fine, and might actually cool better than Freon. The big problem some folks have with it is that it is combustible. It's a mixture of fuel gases, after all. To my way of thinking, given that I'm driving an automobile with combustible fuel of some sort already, under pressure in the engine compartment, that the additional risk I'm taking on by using a hydrocarbon refrigerant is minimal. You'll find others who disagree.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I have some opinions on mixing or using something other than a mainstream refrigerant like R-12 or R134A since I have a automotive technician background. Unless you are never planning to have it serviced again by a A/C service shop don't use offbeat refrigerants. The problem is when you bring it in to be serviced in the future they will anelyze the refrigerant before recovering it and if it has some oddball refrigerant in it they will most likely tell you to take it somewhere else. Why you ask. Its because if it has something other than a mainstream refrigerant in it and they hook their equipment up to it it will contaminate their recovery machine. With all the substitute refrigerants on the market today it would not be feasible for shops to have a dedicated recovery/charging station for each of those. Just my two cents worth.

Frank van Doorn
        1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
        1963 Daytona Conv
        1941 Champion R-2 Rod
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

You should use only R 12 or 134A when charging your Car A/C.
          I saw a video made be the HC 12a people. This was made to show how safe the stuff is?
          They added one can (12oz.) to an old car that had a leaking evaporator, and used a spark plug laying in the front seat. after a very short time of set up they applied the spark to the plug, and it blew off both front doors, and the ones doing the drill headed for cover. There were more than one company filming, so their faces were mud.
          Most all refrigerants that are flammable are outlaw in most states.
          Now that said, They are working on a new refrigerant to replace R 134A that could be flammable .
          No matter what refrigerant you use, make sure you use the right oil that for that refrigerant. Oil don't mix with refrigerant, it is only carried through the system by it.
          If not carried by the refrigerant of choice, I get to sale you a compressor.
          Propane is the best refrigerant, but the deadliest!

Ebon...
          [img][/img]

"I sweat to keep others cool"

Comment

In addition to a full case of one pound cans I still have....I have found that Freeze-12 is a drop-in replacement for R-12.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

In addition to a full case of one pound cans I still have....I have found that Freeze-12 is a drop-in replacement for R-12.
              Not really. Do you have the Freeze-12 service port fitting? And the proper label(s) to do the job legally?
              One of the things that get under my skin. When something goes wrong, will it be blamed on the Freeze-12, or the system was old and that's why? When using the "drop-in" folks can get the meaning of that word all wrong also.
              I guess this should be on the hugger area.
              Ebon...
              [img][/img]

"I sweat to keep others cool"

Comment

I've used Freeze 12 for about 5 years without a issue, but you need to buy the adapters, and label the system for the next guy.

JDP/Maryland
                "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                Thomas Jefferson
                JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                X