Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1955 224" V8 pistons needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 224" V8 pistons needed

Greetings, All,

Am rebuilding the 224" V8 from my 1955 3/4t pickup. Any leads on 224" oversize pistons will be appreciated.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Sorry, they are no longer available, just put in a 259 crank and new 259 + .020 or .030 oversize pistons and bore it to match, you can re-use everything else that is in good shape. Any size 224 piston is like hens teeth to find nowdays, & when you do, they are old leftover "STD" size that no one can use anymore.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If 224 is a must have, you could inquire here:

http://www.egge.com/inquiry.asp

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      33 Rockne 10
      51 Commander Starlight
      53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I scored a set of .040 over 224 slugs off ebay about a year ago. I watched them go thru the auction cycle without getting a bid at $150, then wrote the seller to ask if they could be had for less. Got them for $125. THEN SASCO ran an NOS 224 crank for 49.95 starting bid and that's what I won it for![^]

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

FWIW, I have used Egge Machine pistons in Packard V8s. They might be OK for a trailer queen show car which is only started to go on and off the trailer, but they are not suitable to a driver. They have to be fitted with at least .0035"-.004" clearance or they will run hot and scuff. Instead of Egge pistons, I will sleeve a block back to standard and re-use the old OEM pistons again.

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

Have you asked Maddog Racing and Fastengineparts? Their studebaker parts can be found at
            http://search.stores.ebay.com/Maddog...841065QQsofpZ0?

and more specifically, their 224 pistons are located at
            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...temZ7960322391

Comment

FWIW, Maddog Racing and Fastengineparts is just an ebay reseller. He re-sells Egge Machine pistons and has nothing which is not available elsewhere at a lower cost.

PackardV8
              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
              X