Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

steering wheel swap need help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering wheel swap need help?

my 55 commander 4 dr has a little foam handle race wheel and I want a full size studebaker steering wheel.
    do most wheels from years near 55 fit?
    would a 52 fit on my 55 there are 2 on ebay right now.
    anyone here have a decent one from a 55 for sale?
    thanks for any help. Brian

1955 Commander

I think you are probably looking for a wheel from a 53-56 sedan. A C-K wheel will work but will be appx. 1" smaller in diameter. A later wheel will not fit. I don't know about earlier wheels. However I'd be curious to see how the aftermarket wheel was fitted; you may have a later steering column because a Grant adapter is available for those but I am not aware of one for the early style steering shaft.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

nate they have some kind of kit on it there is a hub cover and an aluminum splined adapter that has 3 bolt holes that match the wheel and there is a small screw that is half way through the collumn shaft the horn ring was in the glove box and the horn cap was under the seat most the threds are worn out and its been on and off more than was designed to. I need about 18" of wheel to swing this gun boat around. the lil 12" race wheel was made for going straight. guess ill skip the 52's on ebay
      Brian

1955 Commander

Comment

First off, I don't know about 'swappin'. While looking for mine ('50 Champion) I learned that all 18" wheels are the same. If so, and the 52s are 18", they ought to work.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Bob
          I had hoped there were several years that would fit and the fact that its not a perfect match by year and style, don't matter as much to me than its just a studebaker. And much larger than the THING thats on it now. By swap I mean take off the one on there now and put on a real one, although the instalation was clever I would be happy to share how it was done and give away the foam thing. My guess is there are lots of guys here who have done stuff way above the league of this lil trick out job.
          What did you discover during your search for your wheel? do most all full size wheels fit each other? And just the newer smaller models not fit? are most of the spline shafts the same size and depth?

1955 Commander

Comment

If you can't find a Studebaker wheel, Grant makes a semi/motorhome size wheel that might fit your adapter. Or try a shop that specializes in semi repairs, they have some nice wood rim wheels that might fit also. Without power steering, I know what you're talking about!

Comment

I have a green steering wheel. I think it is a 56. If I can find it, I will let you have it real cheap.

Leonard Shepherd
              http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

I was told that all the Champ p/u wheels would interchange with 18" wheels. The one I ended up getting was off a late '40s Champ and is a dead ringer for the original on my Champion. Same cosmetic ridges, everything. I had no problem at all finding one from a few vendors, but they all had some cracking. I just chose the one I wanted. I don't know how many 'store' vendors have them, but call some 'guys' who have Stude parts in the barn.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I can't be sure on the 52 wheel, but I can tell you that there is no difference in the fit on 17 and 18 in wheels. My 53 coupe has a wheel
                  on it now that came off my 55 4 dr. commander. There ia a cosmetic difference in the various wheels, but the 53-55 wheels will interchange for sure. 2 spoke, 3 spoke, half horn ring, full horn ring,17 and 18 all fit the same shaft. I think there are a lot of other years, but these I have interchanged. I also belive the m-5 I had had the same shaft, but can't say for sure.

Tex in Alabama
                  55 4-dr
                  53 4-dr
                  53 Coupe

Tex E. Grier

Comment

I have a couple of decent 55 wheels here. With horn rings, no less. Put one of these in your car and you can brag that it's been on the cover of Turning Wheels - which it will be.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Great to hear such good news. send me any info about the wheel you have available to my email, we live in Independence Mo. 64052 for shipping ideas, retrostuffagain@yahoo.com
                      Thanks again guys for making studebaker such a fun experence.
                      Brian

1955 Commander

Comment

leonard did you find the green 56 wheel, send me an email and let me know what you found.
                        Mr Biggs a 55 wheel would be ideal but a photo celebrity sounds expensive. I don't run with hollywood types. Ha ha although I do brag from time to time. Would you need me to wait till after the big day?
                        send me an idea of what you have and what it would cost to send it this way.
                        retrostuffagain@yahoo.com
                        Independence MO, 64052
                        Thanks Brian

1955 Commander

Comment

This has been one of my better projects, I got some great help from Mr Biggs / Bob K he came through with a sweet deal on a TW celebrity photo wheel its the green one. yeah thats right brraggin rights I got a stude wheel now yee haa. and then Bob sent along the parts I needed because when they put that lil foam racing wheel on they got rid of the stude parts to make the thing fit and work. It took me a while to make all the adjustments but the horn works real good now and loud, ask all the neighbors. I bet I must have honked the horn for about an hour till it was just right. Thanks for all the ideas.
                          Thanks for the replys and support, Thanks for making studebaker so much fun. No other car I ever had was made into such an experence and its you guys that make it what it is

My 1955 Commander

AKA Burnie

Comment

Burnie, glad I could help. How about a better photo of your 55?[8D]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I got a cell phone yesterday and its got a camera in it but I havent figured out how to get them off the phone and onto the photobucket. Still working on this new computer thing.
                              these new electronics are fun but it takes me forever to figure them out.
                              I still have a dial phone in the house and the grandkids hate it because they just want to push buttons, and there is no answer machine. But on the upside there is a huge bell that rings the little ones run through the house screaming MULE BARN and grab the thing because its so loud, they are the answer machine. I will figure it out soon and get updates posted and the film developed from the last months then the kids will scan and email to me . I got the email figured out ok. Oh and the cars name is burnie because of the fire, Mine is Brian

My 1955 Commander

AKA Burnie

Comment

Working...
                              X