No announcement yet.

steering wheel swap need help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with ya on this tech stuff, Brian. About the time I learn how to work one gadget, it's obsolete!

BTW, someone charaterized that photo as a "pile of steering wheels". Took me quite some doing to find different length pegs and pins to pound into the ground and even greater effort to get the wheels to balance on those poles!

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Ok I think I figured out how to send camera phone to computer well actualy the kids get the credit, I still need to enter phone numbers in the list.
      This is Burnie my 55 comander in the drive next to my 49 Detroiter Coach.
      Notice the diffrence in the grade of polish at the seam below the window, left is G6 and still fuzzy right is clear and was F9 compounding only so far.
      Notice the hood is now another color. Thats why we call her Burnie had to get rid of the fire dammage, cant let the old girl sit there looking poorly

My 1955 Commander
      AKA Burnie

Comment

Hey! Burnie's lookin' good. So's the Detroiter. I lived in a 47 vingate mobile home for a couple of years in the early 80s. Loved all the REAL wood inside.[^]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Brian; are you trying to say something about some Brand of Aluminum polish or grade being better than others?
          Not too many of us steel car guys are Aircraft owners or polishers, so I for one, do not have a clue what you are saying!

Can you see a difference, from left to right? I can only see the diff. from top to bottom right, where I guess you have not done yet!

What brand and where do you buy this G6 and F9 Aluminum polish stuff? [?]

Studebaker content: I have a sheet Aluminum camper shell on my '62 Transtar 1 Ton Dually, that needs shining up!

quote:Originally posted by redcreeper

Notice the diffrence in the grade of polish at the seam below the window, left is G6 and still fuzzy right is clear and was F9 compounding only so far.
          StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

well if you see where I compounded around the window and from the bottom right corner of the window going down there is a seam with screws.
            on each side I used a diffrent grade of grit and if you look into the reflection you can see one side is blured the other not so much.
            The point I was surprised at was the harsh grit F9 gave a cleaner clearer reflection.
            the G6 is something new that starts out as a medium grit and works out to a fine grit and results seem to vary on the amount of age or grime you have.
            The name of the product is Nuvite and you can get it online I got mine from vintage trailer supply. Its all priced about the same wherever you find it as in very high. A quarter pound is about $45. and looks like a pint. There is a mothers product I saw at the auto store that was a kit with a sponge ball to put on a drill and you use it to shine aluminum mag wheels. I have seen what it will do but have not yet bought any. if the sheet you have is newer clean and not covered with oxidation you would want a fine grit and a half pound will do my whole 20 foot trailer so it wont take much the only trick I can share is keep the rpm down in the hundreds this is not a paint polish method alluminum will become fluid and float fill in scratches and raise debris to the surface the compound pad will turn black and you will need to wash it after you do say a 4' by 4' area I use tide but some use tsp. compounding is used when the surface is as bad as what you see

My 1955 Commander
            AKA Burnie

Comment

Working...
            X