Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Cooler Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooler Help

While it would be great to have some help emptying a cooler, I have a slightly different thing in mind.

I need to come up with ideas on placement for the various coolers to be mounted in the nose of my Avanti. I have the normal radiator, a new trans cooler, a new AC condenser from Vintage Air, an aftercooler for the supercharger, and an engine oil cooler similar to the ones used on the Cobra. Flow to the radiator, engine oil cooler and trans oil cooler are thermostat controlled. Any help as to the mounting and order to stack these would be appreciated. Is it a problem to stack them or would it be better to somehow spread them out?

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________Rabid Snail Racing
    Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt
    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

I would only stack what is necessary. Put what you want to end up with cooler temperatures in front of the warmer stuff. If you spread them, make sure that they are all where they will get sufficient air flow.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Jim:

Putting them in order of condenser, aftercharge cooler, and radiator might best. I am assuming that this is a larger type aftercooler like on trucks.

You could mount the other coolers near the bottom, and farther in front, like the Ford Cobras. Putting them in the Avanti grill area like the Cobra may be pretty cool looking, thinking along similar lines myself.

A more stealthy way may be to put the smaller coolers under the floor pan. A friend of mine won the NSRA give-away car, and they were under the pan with no fans.

Another one is to use them underneath with fans, here is a Setrab setup.

Years ago I saw a Ferrari that had a factory installed oil cooler, and it had two of the small 12 volt computer fans blowing on it.
      Pretty smart for the factory for inexpensive small fans.

1963 Studebaker Avanti: C4 Corvette narrowed front/rear suspension, C5 13" calipers/rotors adapted to C4, Viper differential with Intrax 3.54 ratio (the snake has been charmed!), coil overs, stainless tubular frame, stainless chambered side exhaust.
      Here are two links for some pictures and information.
      Slide Show
      Magazine Article
      sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

Jim:

Here are some pictures of some small plate coolers that we mounted on each of the frame rails. One was for the transmission, the other for the supercharger. They would hold up better than the fin type if mounting underneath.

1963 Studebaker Avanti: C4 Corvette narrowed front/rear suspension, C5 13" calipers/rotors adapted to C4, Viper differential with Intrax 3.54 ratio (the snake has been charmed!), coil overs, stainless tubular frame, stainless chambered side exhaust.
        Slide Show
        Magazine Article
        sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

I also like the look of the Cobra and it's similarity to the Avanti as regards the cooling air intake. As for functionality, the aftercooler will put a lot of heat out. I just want to make sure the coolers in front don't raise the ambient temp for the radiator so much that I can't keep the engine cool. But, on the other side, oil cools the engine as much as the water, so the oil cooler thermostat should open allowing the oil cooler in front to help cool the engine. Confused yet? I'm thinking oil cooler in front, intercooler behind it, AC condenser above the oil cooler, with the trans cooler sandwiched between AC condenser and radiator.

Jim

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Why not use a trans cooler *in* the radiator? seems to me that would be easier and better, as then the temp. of the trans oil is regulated with the water temp.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Jim:

What size aftercooler are you using? Core dimensions, overall dimensions, and inlet and outlet?

Just trying to catch up with you, so I don't waste time reinventing the wheel on my end, as I may do something similar.

I am currently looking at designing the rectangular body brace/radiator mount in 1 1/2 tubing (because it is in stock)rather than 1 1/4 channel, and using one of the $169 aluminum radiatiors from Jeg's or Summit. A friend bought one from Jegs recently for a 1971 Challenger, and it was surprisingly well made. Twincharger has said that he is using one also from Summit in his Avanti.

A frind of mine mounted his AC condensor on the front of the body brace/radiator mount, but above the grill opening so it was hidden. It works quite well, an there is no obstruction. Probably about 1 1/2 inches away from the radiator.

There may be plenty of room for an oil cooler, below in the grill area. In fact, I haven't measured it, but wouldn't be surprised if there weren't room for two coolers, laid out end to end, one for oil, the other transmission. The body brace/radiator mount is around 26" wide.

These two coolers are both 11" wide, one just taller than the other.

Best regards as always.

Slide Show
              Magazine Article

Comment

Don't over look hanging a SATURN Station Wagon air dam ( $16.00 a few years ago) under the radiator support. It creates a turbulence under the car and sucks the hot air out of the motor compartment.

Comment

Don't over look hanging a SATURN Station Wagon air dam ( $16.00 a few years ago) under the radiator support. It creates a turbulence under the car and sucks the hot air out of the motor compartment.

Comment

The tubing from the supercharger to the aftercooler and then on to the carb is 3". The aftercooler is a 3 core, 27" x 12.5" x 3" thick. The aftercooler itself has a 3" inlet and outlet, one on each end. The plenums are above and below the cores. I'll get overall dimensions including the plenums tomorrow.

My engine oil cooler is very similar to the one in your pic - used NASCAR stuff. I am recirc'ing engine oil to the supercharger with oil feeding the engine block from front and back.

For stealth, (like no one will notice the blower whine) I'll go all black on heat exchangers. I'm working on a stainless grille that is laser cut flats spaced to appear like the rods on the factory grille. Hopefully, the extra depth will block casual prying eyes like venetian blinds, but allow adequate airflow.

Jim

Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X