No announcement yet.

Advice on Replacing 289 Crankshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There IS one possibility to this thing truly being stamped with an "F". This could have been a replacement block that some mechanic restamped the engine number onto and mis-read the "P" for an "F".

F was not used as a Studebaker engine number prefix - at least, not in post-WWII years. B, C, H, I, J, P, R, V, some numerals and even S (in the case of the '56 Golden Hawks's 352cu.in. Packard motor), were used as first code digits. No "F" tho.

On the assumption that the letter IS supposed to be a P, this number would pin it as a 1960 Stude 289. Same basic innards as a later Avanti engine, but technically lower compression and not full-flo oil filtration.
    Of course, that doesn't mean it couldn't have BEEN rebuilt to match an Avanti's potential with the right pistons, heads and cam by someone along the way.[8D]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

535601 is the casting number on 224, 259, 289 engine blocks used from 1955 to 1962. That's why it has a by-pass oil filter. I see the second '5' is missing on this block.
      I can only guess at the 'F' engine number. I thought maybe it was supposed to be an 'E' (truck engine), but then there would need to be a number prefix.
      That sure does look like a good, sharp 'F', but I too think it was supposed to be a 'P'. A simplistic explanation perhaps, but maybe a worker just picked up the wrong stamp that one time.
      The numbers '72140' are within the range of model year 1960.

[img] http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/53C.jpg [/img]
      Dwain G.
      D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

Thanks guys. The engine was built by Dave Thibeault, and the information I was given is that it was built as an Avanti R1 with lower compression (9:1). There are R3 valves (1.875 intakes) and a few other modifications. I have sent him an email to Dave Thibeault asking if he can shed some light on this. I tried calling him but his phone is always busy.

John G.
        John
        1953 Commander Coupe
        1954 Champion Sedan
        1963 Lark

Comment

While I am sure that we are all praying for you, I think you will have better luck if you use the install kit. You wouldn't have run accross a mark that looks something like a three leaf clover on the block somewhere would you? That would identify it for sure as a replacement block.

Anne, I'm sorry, I couldn't resist!

Comment

Dave, may have built it, but not as a R1. It's has none of the R1 goodies, no Avanti damper or oil pan for example. Might have the R1 cam inside though.

Studebaker On The Net
            http://stude.com
            Studebaker News Group
            http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
            Arnold Md.
            64 Daytona HT
            63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
            63 Avanti R1/AC
            63 Lark 2 dr.
            62 Lark 2 door
            60 Lark convert
            60 Hawk
            59 3E Truck
            56 truck
            55 Starlight
            53 Starlight
            52 Starlight
            52 Starliner
            51 Commander
            JDP Maryland

Comment

R1s had flat-topped pistons as opposed to the dished pistons of standard 289s. If this thing was built with lower compression, maybe the valves and cam was all it got from an R1. R1s had aluminum timing gear on the camshaft too. 289 used a fibre (plastic) gear.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
              X