Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early Saginaw manual steering box in a '56 sedan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StudeRich
    replied
    Studebakester; you have a Ross Type SL steering gear, and all you need to do is remove the Pitman Arm, Power Steering Control Valve, Center Bellcrank, 4 Hoses, Power Steering Ram (in front), and Power steering Pump.

Then you install a manual Bellcrank, Reach Rod and Pitman arm all from a Manual steering car and you are done! Unless you have serious wear on the Box, it should be fine, it has been protected from road shock since new by the Hydraulic system.

The steering gears are all the same, so no need to change it.

Your car, your choice, if it were mine I would reseal the Ram, reseal the Control valve, replace 4 hoses and drive on, this is a good system, it is a Bendix System, the same as Ford used for years and has no major faults! [:0]

This system in your car has been operating for 45 years and you can not expect much more than a leaky mess, until it is rebuilt.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA

Leave a comment:

• Allan Songer
    replied
    I got a box from Bob Peterson for my '56 hot rod--mine had a WORN OUT Ross box and the R3 headers wouldn't fit with the Ross! For $90 delivered I had a Saginaw out of a '54 Champion that was BOLT IN and the R3 headers clear (BARELY!).

Best $90 spent so far on the '56.

Leave a comment:

• Studebakester
    replied
    Thanx Alan. I haven't checked the Camaro box yet, but I will. I also read somewhere on here about using a Lark manual steering box with some modification. Any info on that? 9Ithink it might have been Dick S.?)

Worry is a waste of imagination.

Studebakester

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    The late Hawk box is not much better than the early one and is slightly larger. Use a Saginaw from a 53-56 Champion. With some modification you could use an Avanti box the Ross 55SE. You could use a GM 525. It all depends on your fabrication skills. Check that Camaro box and it will probably have 6 turns lock to lock more than 22:1 unless you use a long arm of 7" or longer it will be very slow.

Leave a comment:

• Studebakester
    replied
    I see no further posts on this thread, but I am still looking for an answer to the late Hawk steering box. Can anyone help? Has anyone swapped a Hawk manual box into the C/K chassis? Does anyone have a Hawk (don't know if that is a Saginaw or not) or early Saginaw box available. I will be wanting to unload my power steering setup if I can find what I need for my swap. I like the way it steers but it is too cumbersome and in the way.)
    Also, it was mentioned a GM saginaw box could be swapped in with some minor modification. I happen to have a new Camaro manual box laying around. Any help here?
    Thanx much. db

Studebakester

Leave a comment:

• Studebakester
    replied
    I never really saw the answer I was looking for in this thread, so I will ask. I have a 53 Commander that has been upgraded to later power steering, I'm assuming around 63 because of the other 63 parts on the car. I don't think it's Saginaw, it has two rams and about 6 hoses or so. I want to go back to manual steering because of the limited space behind the radiator, right where I want to put a nice big Mark VIII electric fan. I do however, want some reasonably easy steering as I'm getting old and lazy. So, I read somewhere about the Champion box being easier to steer, and also a later Hawk manual box also being easier to steer. Any out there that can help me with pertinent info, such as exactly wht I'm looking for and how to recognize it. Thanx. db

Studebakester

Leave a comment:

• KGlowacky
    replied
    Yes I have a shop that will do it. At least he has in the past. I really haven't looked at this box for two years until today and really just went out to the pile and looked at the stampings. It is covered.

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    I don't know, but if you know someone that is willing to just put new hose on the old fittings, it would be worthwhile to do it. I tried to have a local hydraulics place make me some new hoses and they told me that the fittings were NLA and what they came up with as a replacement just didn't fit nicely. Plus the hose they used were significantly less supple than the originals and hard to route...

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Leave a comment:

• KGlowacky
    replied
    If you mean all the fittings the answer is yes. The rubber is old and cracked. I assume they all can be redone with new rubber.

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    sounds like a Saginaw integral power steering box, not what he's looking for but also a desirable piece. If the hoses are still usable they're very hard to find.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Leave a comment:

• KGlowacky
    replied
    Well after standing outside in Texas 100 degree heat and scraping grease and dirt off the box I did find a 1 inch letter that is either a S or a Z like square letter on the side of the box facing up or down if the box was installed in the car. The frame mounting bracket was still on the box so if the stampings are under that I can not see them. BY the way it is a power steering box.

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    Look right in the center of the casting above the circle at the top of the mounting ears, there should be an raised S in a smashed box. The Ross will have on the mounting ears either a TA or TL.

Leave a comment:

• KGlowacky
    replied
    Allen, I have a extra 56 champion South Bend out of the car. How can I tell the difference? Haven't looked at it yet so if it is wriiten on the side I am sorry I asked.

Leave a comment:

• jimmijim8
    replied
    BECAUSE OF THE WEIGHT DIFFERENCE. JIMMIJIM sorry about the shouting

Leave a comment:

• Allan Songer
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

Looks like all the US built 56 Champions used Saginaw. Canadian Champions, Commanders and Presidents could have Saginaw or Ross TL depending on when the car was built.
    This earlier Saginaw isn't the same unit as the recirculating ball model used beginning in 1961, but people do say they steer noticeably easier than the Ross.

Dwain G.
    I have a South Bend '56 Champion with a Ross. I really doubt it was ever changed out. This car was taken off the road in 1968 and sat in a field in Pacoima for 39 years.

Anyone know why the V8 cars got the Ross and the Champions got the Saginaw?

The R1 I am dropping in will have the "R3" headers--any clearance problems in a '56 sedan with either steering box?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X