Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early Saginaw manual steering box in a '56 sedan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see no further posts on this thread, but I am still looking for an answer to the late Hawk steering box. Can anyone help? Has anyone swapped a Hawk manual box into the C/K chassis? Does anyone have a Hawk (don't know if that is a Saginaw or not) or early Saginaw box available. I will be wanting to unload my power steering setup if I can find what I need for my swap. I like the way it steers but it is too cumbersome and in the way.)
    Also, it was mentioned a GM saginaw box could be swapped in with some minor modification. I happen to have a new Camaro manual box laying around. Any help here?
    Thanx much. db

Worry is a waste of imagination.

Studebakester

Comment

The late Hawk box is not much better than the early one and is slightly larger. Use a Saginaw from a 53-56 Champion. With some modification you could use an Avanti box the Ross 55SE. You could use a GM 525. It all depends on your fabrication skills. Check that Camaro box and it will probably have 6 turns lock to lock more than 22:1 unless you use a long arm of 7" or longer it will be very slow.

Comment

Thanx Alan. I haven't checked the Camaro box yet, but I will. I also read somewhere on here about using a Lark manual steering box with some modification. Any info on that? 9Ithink it might have been Dick S.?)

Worry is a waste of imagination.

Studebakester

Comment

I got a box from Bob Peterson for my '56 hot rod--mine had a WORN OUT Ross box and the R3 headers wouldn't fit with the Ross! For $90 delivered I had a Saginaw out of a '54 Champion that was BOLT IN and the R3 headers clear (BARELY!).

Best $90 spent so far on the '56.

Comment

Studebakester; you have a Ross Type SL steering gear, and all you need to do is remove the Pitman Arm, Power Steering Control Valve, Center Bellcrank, 4 Hoses, Power Steering Ram (in front), and Power steering Pump.

Then you install a manual Bellcrank, Reach Rod and Pitman arm all from a Manual steering car and you are done! Unless you have serious wear on the Box, it should be fine, it has been protected from road shock since new by the Hydraulic system.

The steering gears are all the same, so no need to change it.

Your car, your choice, if it were mine I would reseal the Ram, reseal the Control valve, replace 4 hoses and drive on, this is a good system, it is a Bendix System, the same as Ford used for years and has no major faults! [:0]

This system in your car has been operating for 45 years and you can not expect much more than a leaky mess, until it is rebuilt.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
            X