Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

torque on v-8 crankshaft bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torque on v-8 crankshaft bolt

the manual recomends 130lbs torque. engine is in car. car has automatic trans. i only get about 20lbs before the engine turns over. plugs are in, belts are on. still it turns over. i've been told that 130 lbs isn't needed.... but only 20lbs is quite a difference. the manual offers no proceedures. i must be missing something? i'm hoping this dosn't require dis-assembly. thanks in advance.

I like to jamb a hardwood hammer handle between the crank counterweight and the block to tighten that puppy. But since you don't have that option, I would get the flywheel tooth holding fixture, buy or maybe you could rent one.

Or if you have access to an impact gun, you should at least get 80 to 100 Ft. Lbs. then be SURE you use a good lock tab (new ones are available) and securely lock the bolt. [:0]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

On my stude with an automatic I placed a wide-bladed screwdriver into the fly wheel. the opening on my car is at the traney's right side. This held the engine from turning while I tightened the crank bolt.

Comment

Working...
      X