Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 PICKUP HELP

HI GUYS IM NEW HERE.

I WAS WONDERING WHERE I COULD GET PARTS(MAINLY SHEET METAL)FOR A I951 STUDEBAKER PICKUP (SHORT BED).

THIS TRUCK IS NOT GOING TO BE A RESTORATION, IT'S IN TOO BAD OF SHAPE, BUT IM TOO ATTACHED TO IT TO GET RID OF IT.

THE BODY WILL BE MOSTLY STOCK, CHASSIS IS GOING TO BE REPLACED (1987 CHEVY 2-WD W/ A 383 STROKER)

I REALLY LIKE STUDEBAKERS, BUT NO ONE I KNOW KNOWS WHAT A STUDEBAKER IS, MUCK LESS WHERE TO BUY PARTS. ALL THE KIDS MY AGE ARE TOO BUSY SLAPPING WINGS AND NEON ON ANOTHER HONDA

1951 STUDEBAKER 2R5 SHORT BED

It will be hard to find used sheet metal parts, but some body parts are being reproduced. The place the comes to mind for me is called Classic Enterprises. Here's their page for Studebaker pickups: http://www.classicent.com/pickups.htm

I hope some of the other truck guys chime in to mention other vendors.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

THATS A GREAT SITE, I LOVE THOSE FLUSH TAIL LIGHTS

Comment

Exactly what sheet metal pieces are you talking about?

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I NEED ALOT OF STUFF, HOOD, PASSENGER REAR FENDER, BEDFLOOR, CAB FLOOR,ROCKERS, CAB CORNERS, THE VERTICAL PIECE INSIDE THE DOORS (NOT SURE WHAT ITS CALLED, ANY SUGGESTIONS), AND POSSIBLY A DASH (BEEN REPLACED BUT I KIND OF LIKE THE NEW ONE, SO I MIGHT LEAVE IT)

Comment

Join the nearest local Studebaker club; let them know you are looking for truck parts. Scrounge the local junkyards - the old ones, not the ones that turn over their inventory every month. Search ebay (ugh) for studebaker trucks and make sure to contact any sellers that are near enough to get parts from. None of the above provide quick answers for parts needs, but they are a start. Provide your location on your forum postings. For instance, if I sell my truck (I question whether it is worth the time and dollars, because it will still be an old truck and newer ones have a lot of safety and creature improvements in the last 40 years) I will have some parts to sell afterward. I would rather they go to someone I know about than to ebay. Be prepared to buy a parts truck. Make a definite commitment to going to South Bend convention next year. For sure contact SASCO and StudebakerParts.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by LOWBLAZERO1

I NEED ALOT OF STUFF, HOOD, PASSENGER REAR FENDER, BEDFLOOR, CAB FLOOR,ROCKERS, CAB CORNERS, THE VERTICAL PIECE INSIDE THE DOORS (NOT SURE WHAT ITS CALLED, ANY SUGGESTIONS), AND POSSIBLY A DASH (BEEN REPLACED BUT I KIND OF LIKE THE NEW ONE, SO I MIGHT LEAVE IT)
              LowBlazer,

It sounds like you may be better off trying to find a better truck to start with rather then try to buy up parts to bring this one back. I do not know the history of your truck (bought new by a family member, etc.), but it may be better suited as a donor vehicle for a truck that will require less work.

Just my $.02 worth.....

Guido

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

NO, ITS NOT AN HEIRLOOM OR ANY THING LIKE THAT, I ACTUALLY GOT WHEN I WAS 8 YEARS OLD, MY PARENTS BOUGHT IT FOR ME AS A GIFT AND SAID, WHEN I GRADUATE, IF I GOT GOOD GRADES, IT IS MINE (MY FAMILY HAS A LONG LINE OF DROP-OUTS, I AM ONLY THE 3RD TO GRADUATE) I GRADUATED IN MAY (AND GOT A FULL RIDE SCHOLORSHIP-FIRST ONE IN MY FAMILY TO GO TO COLLEGE)SO NOW ITS TIME TO BUILD THE STUDE.

I ACTUALL MADE THIS TRUCK SOUND WORSE THAN IT IS- I BELIVE ALL OF THE PARTS ARE SALVAGABLE, ITS ALMOST COMPLETELY RUST FREE, I FIGURE WITH A RARER TRUCK, ID RATHER REPLACE THE PARTS.

THE HOOD HAS A FEW RUST BUBBLES (GRING THEM OUT AND WELD THEM UP), THE REAR FENDER HAS A LARGE DENT (THIKN IT CAN BE STRAIGHTENED), ROCKERS AND CAB CORNERS HAVE A FEW HOLES BUT CAN BR FIXED

THE ONLY THING THAT WORRIES ME IS THE CAB FLOOR IS KIND OF FLIMSY, DOESN'T LOOK LIKE ITS BEEN REPLACED, AND HAS NO RUST, IS THERE A SUPPORT THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE THERE (THERE IS NOTHING UNDER THE FLOOR, AND THE GAS TANK HAS BEEN RELOCATED UNDER THE BED)?

Comment

I think you would be ahead of the game to purchase shop and parts manuals for your truck. The shop manual will assist you with repairs and the parts manual shows how all the parts are assembled. On R series trucks the fuel tank was under the bed though the filler neck is in the cab.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

What Gary says is true. I can't fathom the floor being flimsy yet without rust. In fact, you say the truck's fairly rust free but you're looking for a whole list of replacement parts for it - why[?]
                    Restoring a Studebaker is more about redoing what's there as opposed to just buying reproduced (or nicer used) parts and bolting them in place. There ARE a few repro'd things available, but it's not like a Chevy or Ford F-100 where you can virtually build a new truck from repro'd stuff. And since there's no repro'd stuff at hand, that makes what half-decent parts are left in the world, even harder to find, more expensive and certainly less likely to be bolt-on ready.

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                    X