Water in the bellhousing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in the bellhousing

I began having trouble with the clutch in the Daytona not wanting to disengage and then the starter quit working. I decided since the weather was nice today I would get the car up and find out what was going on. I was not prepared for what I found. When I took the starter out a tiny bit of water dripped out and when I loosened the dust shield water poured out! [:0] At least now I know why I was having the two problems.
    Anyway, I am very disappointed and unsure of how to proceed. I looked at one of the Stude V-8s at the garage and I see two plugs in the back of the block. I guess at least one of these goes into the water jacket? I am really bummed out because now that I have tires I had hoped to at least drive the car around the block a few times before doing anything else major. It's like two steps forward two back (brakes and tires vs starter and clutch + leak).
    I guess now I'll be pulling the engine and sealing it up and while it's out I'll clean out the water passages, have the radiator rodded out and painted, and paint the engine. These are all things I would eventually do anyway, but I hoped it wouldn't come so soon.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

There is no plugs for water in the rear of a Stude V8. The one on the right is a 3/8" pipe plug that is on the pass. side oil galley and the other soft plug is just to get to the plug on the drivers side.

Comment

[:0] Then where could the water be coming from? This sounds bad.

Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

The cowl vent drain hose may be missing, pouring water down into the inspection hole on the bell housing.

JDP/Maryland
        "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

Thomas Jeffereson
        JDP Maryland

Comment

I decided to come back and edit this post. I went outside and ran water into the cowl vent and it looks like JDP is right. There was no baffle or hose and the water ran straight out onto the engine. I did not know there was a drain there. I wondered why there was a plastic clip on the right side of the firewall with nothing in it and now I know it was to support the drain hose. Thanks John. I still have a lot of work ahead, but if I had repaired the damage without fixing the cause it could have happened again.

Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

What John said. The same thing had happened to the '62 before I started driving it.

I wish someone would repop those hoses. They are a VERY vital part if your car ever sees water.

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

What do you do if you don't have one?

Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Make one.

JDP/Maryland
                "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

Thomas Jeffereson
                JDP Maryland

Comment

While you have it apart, get some of that metal-backed 'duct tape' and cover up the hole in the top of the bellhousing.

Matthew Burnette
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Just con Matthew out of the one on his newly-acquired parts car

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Actually Bob, I'm saving that one as a spare. [)]

Matthew Burnette
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I wondered about the wisdom of covering that hole in the bellhousing. I'm not likely to be using it to inspect anything after I fix the clutch.
                        BTW Has anybody got a clear picture of one of these ducts? I've looked at the picture in the parts book, but it does really show much detail for building a facsimile.

Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I will get you a pic tommorrow but looks like a plumbing 90 and a short piece of stiff water hose would work well.Good luck,Steve
                          sigpic

Comment

Look at the underhood picture in Matthew's thread- shows it very clearly:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=20203

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

What about adding a small drain hole in the bottom of the bellhousong?
                              Say...1/4" diameter..
                              Jeff[8D]
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X