X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trump
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by TX Rebel

Cool ride, Trump, though I can't understand why you would go from a IFS to a straight axle. I'd sure hate to do all that work on a gravel driveway! It reminds me of a guy here in TX who has a 40 DeSoto coupe with a Mercedes turbo diesel. I would love to build a 40 Pres with a Packard straight 8 in it someday, but I sold my 40 coupe this Spring.

Barry'd in Studes
    I went with teh straight axle because it was simple. The old IFS was dated and would have cost me a fortune to track down all the replacement parts and have the bushings and whatnot installed. Not to mention I'd also have to be paying for the replacement brake parts on top of it all. It would have cost me more than a Mustang II to update the original one for safe road use. Even if I got past the cost, I'd still have to modify the steering heavily to make it work to be able to fit any other engine aside from a stock stude motor in there. I refuse to pay $2k for a mustangII front, so that wasn't happening. The straight axle setup comes with everthing that's needed including brakes for $900. Saved me a gigantic pain the a** and a lot of money. The parts are easy and cheap to get if anything needs to be replaced. Ride quality won't be as good as the Mustang II, but I bet it will challenge the stock IFS. Heck they used the straight axle on a lot of vehicles well into the 1960's, still using them in some large truck appilcations today. It wouldn't still be in use if it didn't work.

Looking for 1939-1940 Commander coupe running boards.

Leave a comment:

• JLasvegas
    replied
    looks very nice, keep us updated

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
    259cid flight o matic

Leave a comment:

• TX Rebel
    replied
    Cool ride, Trump, though I can't understand why you would go from a IFS to a straight axle. I'd sure hate to do all that work on a gravel driveway! It reminds me of a guy here in TX who has a 40 DeSoto coupe with a Mercedes turbo diesel. I would love to build a 40 Pres with a Packard straight 8 in it someday, but I sold my 40 coupe this Spring.

Barry'd in Studes

Leave a comment:

• Carl Purdy
    replied
    [quote]Originally posted by trump

ST2DE5- I think I know what you are talking about. It looks like a aluminum pipe with a fillerneck welded in the middle? How does that work with the existing filler neck? Do you just add a higher lb cap at the radiator? What keeps it from opening otherwise? Have you run it and how does it perform?

I just use a 15lb. Cap on both.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Leave a comment:

• klifton1
    replied
    I like home built cars. Lookin good.
    Klif

55 Speedster

Leave a comment:

• trump
    replied
    ST2DE5- I think I know what you are talking about. It looks like a aluminum pipe with a fillerneck welded in the middle? How does that work with the existing filler neck? Do you just add a higher lb cap at the radiator? What keeps it from opening otherwise? Have you run it and how does it perform?

r1lark- Thank you. I did not build the motor mounts, but did do the frame mounts. These mounts are made by Chassis Engineering and are sold by Tom Langdon (www.stoveboltengineco.com). They are meant to allow you to put a 292 L6 into a car that originally had a 250 L6. However, since I was starting with a bare frame and wanted to keep my mechanical fuel pump. I just flipped the sides and welded frame mounts into the frame. If you use them to install a 292 into a car with a 250 originally, you loose the ability to run a mech fuel pump due to the mount location....so you have to go electric. I hate electric fuel pumps.

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by trump

Started getting the carbs together and working that stuff out. It's coming along slowly but surely. The weather isn't helping.
    Trump,

That is looking GREAT!!

Very clean and functional motor mounts.....did you build those?

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Leave a comment:

• Carl Purdy
    replied
    Mustang IIs had a filler spout that fit on the top radiator hose. You might check it out. I am using one. Probably save a lot of time and money. Just a thought.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Leave a comment:

• trump
    replied
    Started getting the carbs together and working that stuff out. It's coming along slowly but surely. The weather isn't helping.

Also been working on how to make the radiator work. I'm using a Mustang radiator and found some brackets to allow me to recess it futher into the nose to make room for the long motor. I think I'll need to takle the radiator to the shop and have an extended neck put on so I can actually access it.... but so far so good.

Leave a comment:

• trump
    replied
    Thanks for the support. I'm glad I'm not getting too much bashing for building a "hot rod". Hopefully next time I post pictures it will look more put together. I've got to rig up some support brackets for the radiator before I can mount the front clip again.

Leave a comment:

• tempestan
    replied
    Looks great to me. Keep the pictures coming as you progress. tempestan

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    Keep the updates coming. The engine remindes me of the 56 210 model that I had in my younger days with the blue flame in it. Learned much of my engine skills modding and keeping that stovebolt running. If it makes you proud, it perfect. Experiencing many on this site, I'll bet you will find many supporters. A quality build is always appreciated. As for this old guy, It's a great start with much potential. Bob

Leave a comment:

• trump
    replied
    well, I'm back again with some updates. Mainly pictures since it would take forever to explain everything I've been going through getting this thing together.

Rebuilt the motor. Added a 194 head for more compression, Offy 2x1 intake, Langdon split dual exhaust manifolds, Pertronix ignitor unit in the completely rebuilt distributor, a few other internal modifications. Basically a good street motor.

Setup the motor mounts, shock mounts, etc. Installed the front brakes.

I pretty much finished up the dashboard. It just needs a little buffing and stuff on the chrome and stainless. I did a heavy red metal flake finish (like a bass boat). I like the look and think that it gives it the hot rod flavor, but still retains some class.

Finally tracked down a good 200R4 after getting burnt on the last two. This one was out of a 1987 Monte Carlo w/ 60k orginal miles. It was super clean on the inside, almost no clutch material in the filter. I installed a TCI lock-up kit and the electric speedo sender. Changed out the front and rear seals and installed a new filter.

Last night I got the motor and trans in their final places. The firewall got patched up the other day. ended up coming into the cab about 4.5". I'm going to have to move the radiator forward a few inches also. The firewall isn't quite as clean as I would normally do, But then again the rest of the car isn't perfect either. At some point down the road, I'll take the body off and re-do everything. But right now I'm more concerned with operation and being able to enjoy it a bit.

I made some carb adapters to enable me to mount the W-1s, but after talking with some people I decided that the W-1s might not be enough. Did a bit more research and I think I'm going to go with rochester model Bs from a 235. I'd like to buy a set of remanufactured ones that are ready to go, but $ is TIGHT. I'm trying to sell off a bunch of stuff on ebay so I can afford them.

Mainly I just have the petty little stuff to do to be operational, Rear brakes, run lines, electric, and some other little stuff. So it's still coming along.

Leave a comment:

• trump
    replied
    started in on the motor.... glad I didn't take the word of the guy I bought it from...."running when removed". Yeah, maybe 6 years ago before it was stored in the elements.

Found a crusty cylinder, scaled intake ports, amongst a few other surprises. Gonna require a total rebuild. Not real happy about it, but it at least gives me an excuse to do a few hop-ups while I'm going through it. Found a Chevy I6 Guru in my neck of the woods, he offered to help me out and I plan on taking full advantage of the educational opportunity. I'm hoping to squeeze close to 240hp out of this motor and about 325+ ft/lbs of torque while still maintianing good street manners.

Here's a couple more pictures.

Still have a ways to go, but getting closer every chance I get. Need to track down a set of cool gauges next.

I'll keep updating......

Leave a comment:

• trump
    replied
    PS- here's a couple more pics of the way the stance ended up with the nose mocked up. Pretty subtle, but still quite a change.

Before:

After:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X