No announcement yet.

Chevy 292 in 1940 commander coupe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty much spent the weekend working on the stude. Got most of the frontend done, but still have a few things left to complete it: tie rod, drag-link, steering box, brake calipers and shock mounts. Ran into a few little issues, but nothing big. Lots of measuring and re-measuring an checking things twice, three times, four times, etc. Gonna have to tweek a few things also. Steering arms are going to have to be bent to work. I also might C-notch the front, since I chose to mount the axle on top of the springs. Also put that posi rear under it, fit real well, so I'll be good there.

Here's my take on the MAS axle kit, since it seems to be a hot topic on a lot of boards. I thought that the axle looked to be very quality. Very heavy duty and I'm not sure how people think they are going to bend them, unless they are slamming down hard after a wheel stand or hitting every 1ft deep pot hole on the road. The only other reason I could come up with is if they are mounting the spings too far inboard and creating a greater moment of force....leverage isn't always good. I like the spring mounting brackets better than the speedway kit. These are actually rear brackets, not just a rear tab. I also like the spings, they don't have as much arch as the speedway kit. Overall it looks like a real nice product. However I have three gripes. 1. The king ping holes were way to small for the chevy king pins. I think they may have been ok for ford pins, but I had to do a lot of honing to get the chevy ones to fit. 2. They told me that the spindle nuts, spindle washers, and cotter pins were included with the spindles, they weren't. I wasn't real surprised (see issue number ). 3. They use speedway parts for their brake conversion kits and Mr. Roadster for their spindle kits. That's why I wasn't real suprised about the nuts. My take on it all if you are looking for bang for the buck..... order the brake conversion kit from speedway, it's slightly cheaper. Order the axle and spindle kit from MAS, both are cheaper through them. Make sure you order spindle nuts and washers, if you forget, no big deal, roll down to your auto parts store and ask for a GM spindle nut kit. They run about $2.99.

so here's the pics:

Off with the front:

darn, Reinforcing around steering box/idler arm area of frame

Cut 4" farther back and no more reinforcing

Looking for 1939-1940 Commander coupe running boards.

Comment

New frame rails and x-members in and Springs hung and axle in place, gettin' there:

After, low stance:

Still have a ways to go, but getting rid of that stock frontend was liberating. It was a monkey on my back and I think that the straight axle looks very at home on the car. With a few more modifications, I think I'll be real happy with it.

Comment

Looking good, trump. I think the parallel-leaf front end is a good choice to work with your engine selection. Certainly has that "traditional hot-rod" look.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Trump,
          I really like the looks of that front end. I also like the idea of a straight six for power. At Bonneville the Chevy, and better yet the GMC, straight sixes are used in all kinds of machinery. The 302 version of the GMC engine can be made to put out a lot of power. The Chevy, as you have already said, also has lots of speed equipment available.

I do not understand the bad mouthing of such engines. My philosophy is if it is your car/truck you can do what you want with it. I think different is usually better. Although I like Stude power in a Stude, that certainly is not the only, or even best, choice. And when one limits himself to a SBC, a lot of originality is gone. A straight axled, straight 6 powered Stude sounds cool to me.

Good-luck and keep us informed.

Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Editor of "The Down Easterner"
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Trump, DANG that project is looking awesome. I just read this thread for the first time and WOW, you've been through the ringer here and still tickin away. I love your enthusiasm and guile. I love the idea of the inline 6. The 292 us about as bullet proof as 6s get. Triple carbs with a nice lope in the cam and headers will give plenty of power and the curb appeal will skyrocket. I love what you're doing. Keep up the good work.

sals54
            sals54

Comment

Guys thanks for the moral support. I have thick skin from going against the grain, and I'm fully aware that others would build this car differently if it was theirs. I'm just trying to have some fun. I have done a lot of quick builds in the past and ended up with some cool machines, but most were predictable. I'm just challenging myself to try and think outside of the box. Taking this project kind of slow and trying to look at things from lots of angles. I change my mind constantly, but eventually funnel down to a decision.

I'm not looking to really turn any heads. If it happens great, if not, no biggie. Just looking to do something slightly different than the next guy.

I've found that I am starting to do modifications that leave me an easy way out if I change my mind. The front clip and suspension are very adaptable to lots of drivetrain combos. If the 6 doesn't work out like I hope, I'll just swap it with something else. For some reason the chevy 6s have just grabbed my attention lately.

I'm feeling the financial crunch like everybody else these days, money is hard to come by. So to start, I'm probably going to leave the 292 relatively stock aside from going through it mechanically and adding new gaskets and pumps. I'll probably use a few dress-up items and I have found a Offenhauser 2x1 setup complete with carbs and linkage that I'm going to try out. I'm switching from the HEI to a points style distributor with Ignitor electronic ignition to get a the right look and still have performance. Have to stay with the stock exhaust until I can track down or afford a set of Langdon style manifolds. Eventually, I'll switch over to LP pistons and a 194 head to get some higher c ompression, and I'll probably add a bigger cam. Main thing right now is to get it on the road and safe.

Just like to add that I'm pretty much building this the way they used to, out in my gravel driveway with no garage. I've been battling high winds, 90+ degree weather, dirt, rocks, etc with no shelter. Just the way they used to do it back then. Not by choice, but by necessity and desire. Sometimes we have to make the best of the cards we're dealt.

I'll keep updating on the project. If anybody has some aftermarket chevy 250/292 parts they'd like to unload, please let me know.

Thanks.

Comment

PS- here's a couple more pics of the way the stance ended up with the nose mocked up. Pretty subtle, but still quite a change.

Before:

After:

Comment

started in on the motor.... glad I didn't take the word of the guy I bought it from...."running when removed". Yeah, maybe 6 years ago before it was stored in the elements.

Found a crusty cylinder, scaled intake ports, amongst a few other surprises. Gonna require a total rebuild. Not real happy about it, but it at least gives me an excuse to do a few hop-ups while I'm going through it. Found a Chevy I6 Guru in my neck of the woods, he offered to help me out and I plan on taking full advantage of the educational opportunity. I'm hoping to squeeze close to 240hp out of this motor and about 325+ ft/lbs of torque while still maintianing good street manners.

Here's a couple more pictures.

Still have a ways to go, but getting closer every chance I get. Need to track down a set of cool gauges next.

I'll keep updating......

Comment

well, I'm back again with some updates. Mainly pictures since it would take forever to explain everything I've been going through getting this thing together.

Rebuilt the motor. Added a 194 head for more compression, Offy 2x1 intake, Langdon split dual exhaust manifolds, Pertronix ignitor unit in the completely rebuilt distributor, a few other internal modifications. Basically a good street motor.

Setup the motor mounts, shock mounts, etc. Installed the front brakes.

I pretty much finished up the dashboard. It just needs a little buffing and stuff on the chrome and stainless. I did a heavy red metal flake finish (like a bass boat). I like the look and think that it gives it the hot rod flavor, but still retains some class.

Finally tracked down a good 200R4 after getting burnt on the last two. This one was out of a 1987 Monte Carlo w/ 60k orginal miles. It was super clean on the inside, almost no clutch material in the filter. I installed a TCI lock-up kit and the electric speedo sender. Changed out the front and rear seals and installed a new filter.

Last night I got the motor and trans in their final places. The firewall got patched up the other day. ended up coming into the cab about 4.5". I'm going to have to move the radiator forward a few inches also. The firewall isn't quite as clean as I would normally do, But then again the rest of the car isn't perfect either. At some point down the road, I'll take the body off and re-do everything. But right now I'm more concerned with operation and being able to enjoy it a bit.

I made some carb adapters to enable me to mount the W-1s, but after talking with some people I decided that the W-1s might not be enough. Did a bit more research and I think I'm going to go with rochester model Bs from a 235. I'd like to buy a set of remanufactured ones that are ready to go, but $ is TIGHT. I'm trying to sell off a bunch of stuff on ebay so I can afford them.

Mainly I just have the petty little stuff to do to be operational, Rear brakes, run lines, electric, and some other little stuff. So it's still coming along.

Comment

Keep the updates coming. The engine remindes me of the 56 210 model that I had in my younger days with the blue flame in it. Learned much of my engine skills modding and keeping that stovebolt running. If it makes you proud, it perfect. Experiencing many on this site, I'll bet you will find many supporters. A quality build is always appreciated. As for this old guy, It's a great start with much potential. Bob

Comment

Looks great to me. Keep the pictures coming as you progress. tempestan

Comment

Thanks for the support. I'm glad I'm not getting too much bashing for building a "hot rod". Hopefully next time I post pictures it will look more put together. I've got to rig up some support brackets for the radiator before I can mount the front clip again.

Comment

Started getting the carbs together and working that stuff out. It's coming along slowly but surely. The weather isn't helping.

Also been working on how to make the radiator work. I'm using a Mustang radiator and found some brackets to allow me to recess it futher into the nose to make room for the long motor. I think I'll need to takle the radiator to the shop and have an extended neck put on so I can actually access it.... but so far so good.

Comment

Mustang IIs had a filler spout that fit on the top radiator hose. You might check it out. I am using one. Probably save a lot of time and money. Just a thought.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
                              As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by trump

Started getting the carbs together and working that stuff out. It's coming along slowly but surely. The weather isn't helping.
                                Trump,

That is looking GREAT!!

Very clean and functional motor mounts.....did you build those?

Paul
                                Winston-Salem, NC
                                Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                                Paul
                                Winston-Salem, NC
                                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Working...
                                X