No announcement yet.

Opinions wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to breathe a little power into your old President, why not drop in a 289 Stude with a Paxton Supercharger? These were available from the factory originally. I don't know about '55, but they were available till '64 anyway. Ask Ted Harbit about this motor. He spanks the competition on a regular basis with one.

In this way, you have the best of both worlds. A guy toy, and a classic original.[8D]

Oh! Almost forgot. How about a picture? There's a sticky showing how to do so.

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I too am a long-time hotrodder, and have shoved Chevys, Fords, Caddys, Buicks, and Olds engines in various 20s and 30s vehicles over the last 45 years. A few years back I bought a 1947 Studebaker M pickup with plans to make another hot rod. It came badly butchered with one of the worst installations of a recent Olds engine I have ever seen. About the same time a friend said hey, I have a Stude V8, why not put that in the truck. With the advice of Ted Harbit, I built the little 259 with larger intake valves, minor porting, a R2+ cam, and so forth. The little truck scats pretty good and I really enjoy driving it. My advice? Keep the Stude engine. You want horsepower--talk to Ted or one of the other people racing Studes. I think you will be surprised at the amount of "go fast" you can get out of that original engine.

Comment

Gentlemen I really appreciate all of the comments. At the present time
        I think I'll take the advice of the majority. and refresh the old 259.
        It holds 40 lb of oil pressure at 40 mph it is suprisingly quiet for
        a Stude. The heads have been off for they have been painted turquoise,
        with gold valve covers. the block has a good coating of crud. I'll pull the heads, and pistons, and if I don't find too much bore taper,
        or any serious scratches in the cylinders I'll re-ring it,and give it a set of new of rod bearings, assuming the crank is ok. I already have
        motel reservations for South Bend, and if I can convince the wife, we'll bring the Stude too. Again I really appreciate your input.

James K. Clark
        Eastern Tn.
        '55 Prez Starlight Hdtp.
        Don't take yourself too seriously!

James K. Clark

Comment

Your compression is good, oil pressure is good, and sounds as though it is a good dependable engine. What I'd suggest is install new valve seals. they're easy to do and may accidently slow oil consumption. The rubber umbrella seals will harden after sitting for long periods and allow oil to pass by. It'd be an inexpensive way to find out if that's a cure. They're the same as sbc.I'm sure ya know it can be done without pulling heads. You may want to also step up to teflon seals. This process should only take 4 to 6 hours. I've done it on 3or 4 Stude engines that had the same things goin for it you have, but smoke rather badly. Your engine just seem in too good a condition to do a tear down. You may know, in the 52 to 54 era there were Studeilacs, and I'm sure someone here can share the specfic and quite interesting details of this. I saw one in South Bend in the early eighties at the N&A swap meet.
          Hope this helps.
          Kim

Comment

James,

I think if you ever went to one of the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags and heard sounds that a Stude engine can make, and see in person the times that a Stude engine can do, then I believe you would be very content to leave the Stude engine in the President. It really is a very good engine and when they are 'cut loose' they are awesome to hear. Don't take my word for it, go see them in person.

Tim K.
            '64 R2 GT Hawk
            Tim K.
            \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

What Tim said...[] Hear here -> The PSMCD It'll AMAZE you (just as it befuddles the Big Block Brand Xers - they get to hear a Stude's exhaust note quite well when they're trying to catch up on one![}]) what that little Stude can do and how melodically it can sing![:0]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
              X