1949 Truck Door Lock question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 Truck Door Lock question

I am in the process of getting my truck cab off the frame so I can get the frame ready for powder coating and I noticed that there is a lock mechanism on the passenger door but not on the drivers side door. Is this normal?

Steve Saeger
    Marysville, Ohio

OMG NOO! the factory must've put it on backwards when it was built.

Comment

I know that my 41 Champion only has a lock on the passenger side. This was normal on some prewar Studebakers so trucks are probably not excempt.Not sure about postwar models. The drivers door is locked by pushing the door handle forward, in other words the opposite way as when you open the door.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Perhaps some later C-cab owners can tell us if theirs lacks a drivers door lock, or an expert can say when and if driver side door locks became standard. On my 1955 there is no drivers door lock.

[img=left]http://simps.us/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]
        Paul Simpson
        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon
        Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

'49s only had a lock on the outside of the passinger door. To my knowledge, a drivers lock was not even an option.

Eric DeRosa

'49 2R-5 (original Survivor)
          '63 R2 Lark (barely surviving)
          Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
          \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 2R2

'49s only had a lock on the outside of the passinger door. To my knowledge, a drivers lock was not even an option.

Eric DeRosa

'49 2R-5 (original Survivor)
            '63 R2 Lark (barely surviving)
            My '55 has the lock on the passenger side only.

Comment

Thanks for all the great information. Wanted to make sure I wasnt just losing my mind on this. I am new to the Studebaker club and everyone has been really helpful. I came from the circle track racing ranks and sold all my race cars and equipment so I could spend my time working on this truck.....which my wife says was a smart decision financially and for my own longevity of life

Steve Saeger
              Marysville, Ohio

Comment

Door locks on passenger side only for trucks was not only Studebaker. We had a '47 chevy and '55 ford 3/4T pickups on the farm and I seem to recall neither of them had driver side locks either. We never locked them so I am not completely sure anymore. The chevy had no key, just a switch on the dash and dad never took THE key out of the ford even when it was parked in town.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

One has to wonder if they did that to encourage drivers to get out on the passenger side, I seem to remember authorities used to encourage that practice. I faintly remember them saying it was dangerous to get out of the drivers side. This of course is no longer practical since bucket seats and consoles became the norm.

Frank van Doorn
                  1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
                  1963 Daytona Conv
                  1941 Champion R-2 Rod
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                  1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                  1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Here's a 1952 Service Bulletin on that subject.........

Dwain G.
                    So.....if I'm 'pre-approved' why do you want me to fill out an application?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

Perhaps some later C-cab owners can tell us if theirs lacks a drivers door lock, or an expert can say when and if driver side door locks became standard. On my 1955 there is no drivers door lock.

Paul Simpson
                      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                      The Red-Headed Amazon
                      I believe the '57-58 3E models were the first with locks on both doors. My '59 4E has two locks.

Skip Lackie
                      Washington DC
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

It was indeed normal to only have a lock on the passenger's side, as it was SOP to enter a car from the curbside and slide over. While it makes sense, it's hard to imagine today... and darn near impossible with most of today's vehicles[xx(]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

My '59 only has the lock on the pass. side. Of course, it is a Scotsman.

The reasoning had something to do with not being able to lock your keys in the vehicle. The only time I ever took the keys out of the truck and locked the doors, was in South Bend. And that's just because BondoBilly got all over me for not doing so to begin with.

Matthew Burnette
                          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Drivers side door locks were an option, even on Champs!
                            And C-Cabs up to and including the 8E series.
                            I have 2R's up and up to an 8E28, none have a drivers door lock cylinder.

A lot of local laws required entering vehicles from curb side.

And Jeff, even here in Indiana, my grandfather left the key in his truck when he parked in town.

3E38
                            4E2
                            4E28
                            5E13
                            7E7
                            8E7
                            8E12
                            8E28

59 Lark
                            etc

Comment

And it's true. You can't lock yourself out without taking the keys with you. Even in the Lark four door cars, you can't lock the front doors from the outside without the key. You can lock the back doors from outside.
                              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10,
                              '51 Commander Starlight,
                              '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                              '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X