No announcement yet.

OK, what's wrong? Take a guess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

......did you short out the points somehow ? leave the ign "on" ?

Comment

OK, The problem was:
      When I put the wires back on the cap I put them on in the correct order, BUT, whoever installed the distributor, installed it 180 degrees off! So, to "compenstae" for the improperly installed distributor, "whoever" just moved the plug wires so they would not have to move the distributor.
      It was driving me nuts! as I could not figure out why after adjusting the valves, it would not start!
      Maybe it was another "ASE" certified technichtion! <G>

All is well, valves are quiet, and runs great. I still need to replace the M/C (leaks bad) and bleed the brakes.
      Again, Lee D. picked up on it and helped me "resolve" this one, Thanks Lee.
      The dist. in 180 off and someone just moving the plug wires, is sure a new one to me.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

I really enjoyed the body man comment bob, being a former body man myself!! A little light humor in the morning never hurts!! (LOOKING FOR THOSE LITTLE FACE THINGYS.....lol)

60 Lark convertible
        61 Champ
        62 Daytona convertible
        63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2)
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Warren Webb

I really enjoyed the body man comment bob, being a former body man myself!! A little light humor in the morning never hurts!! (LOOKING FOR THOSE LITTLE FACE THINGYS.....lol)
          Thanks for the "allowance," Warren. Jim and I spar back and forth on that all the time...always in jest, of course...so I couldn't resist the opportunity for a good jab! (And as more of a mechanic than body man, I always shake my cans of Wal-Mart primer very well before spraying!) BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, you gotta step up to the GOOD spray cans. After you try Krylon, you'll never go back to the cheap paint!

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

Bob, you gotta step up to the GOOD spray cans. After you try Krylon, you'll never go back to the cheap paint!

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              I know that's true, Nate, but figured it would be funnier using Wal-Mart, as much as us CASOs are known for frugality.... BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Jim, that's unfair! You said, quote: "It's SO simple, almost unbelievable"... I would never have guessed it. On a Chevy I'd notice it right away, but with limited Stude experience I'd never think of it...[)]

I'd love to know the diagnostic process that led Lee to that conclusion without seeing it[?]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

It was the backfiring through the carb. I did not guess it because I did not know why he removed the plug wires from the cap instead of the plugs just to do the values.

JDP/Maryland
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

Had this same problem on a '70 Impala I used to own. And you're right - it's so simple you'd never think of it

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                    '63 F2/Lark Standard
                    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                    www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

JP is right, the backfiring through the carb, As Lee said, the engine doesn't give a ----, where the plug wires are, as long as spark goes to #1 when it's supposed to. It just didn't make any sense as all I did was adjust the valves! I dug out my shop manual, motors, and then called Lee AFTER checking everything 2-3 times (or more)
                      I ended up pull ling the left valve cover, and looking at the rotor location when the timing marks were lined up! I just don't understand WHY who ever droppedi nthe dist. just didn't pull it back out and fix it right. I spent less than 10 minutes pulling the valve cover AND dist.

Takes all kinds I guess

Jim
                      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                      their Memorials!

Comment

A few years back, I helped a guy rebuild the V8 in his '55. This help was administered via numerous E-mails and phone calls (on his dime, of course).
                        The BIG DAY came and while he had good oil pressure and the thing was cranking great, it would only occassionally sneeze and pop. He ran the battery down a couple of times trying to get it to fire.
                        With each plaintive call to me, we'd run thru the possibilities and check them off - good compression, adequate fuel, etc., etc.. Firing order was of course confirmed as was the rotor pointing to number one when it was supposed to.[}]
                        The one thing I took for granted (and couldn't see from 200 miles away) was that he had the wires in order alright - just in reverse rotation to how the distributor turned![8]
                        I finally enlisted a trusted Stude guy that I knew in his area. The guy started going over the basics, caught and corrected the wires on the cap and with the first start attempt thereafter, the thing fired right up!
                        T'was an amusing phone call I got thereafter. I answered the phone and only heard the distorted grumbling of an engine. My friend was so excited he could hardly speak.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                        X