Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the guy at the next booth vs 30 years of SAE paper

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • the guy at the next booth vs 30 years of SAE paper

    HMMM.....

    on the one hand is 30 years of research, peer reviewed papers by the SAE and other Automotive Engineering professionals.
    on the other hand, there is the very informed person in the next booth.

    As an engineer, I will stick with the peer reviewed SAE papers.


    Terry, North Texas
    1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
    (in stage 1 resto "Project A")
    http://sterkel.org/avanti
    1985 Kubota L2202(Diesel)
    1999 Toyota rice burner
    1986 Ford 150 Long Bed

    New resolution.
    I will continue to respond, to the best of my ability, to any query,
    challenge or alternative view relevant to my original post.
    I will not respond to anything off (the original) topic...

  • #2
    What is this about? [?][?]


    1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

    Comment


    • #3
      Or another viewpoint is, learning is an ongoing process, and knowledge on any given subject may have advanced in 30 years.



      Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

      "Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

      "With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"



      Comment


      • #4
        Hmmm indeed Terry...
        I spoke with a person who wrote some of those papers.
        You just made an uneducated assumtion about who he is without knowing your facts.
        I asked him to share some of what he travels around the country teaching people that can actually use the information.
        I asked questions and listened.
        Then...I shared what I learned with my fellow enthusiasts.
        So tell me Terry... Have you shared any of your SAE papers information?
        What have YOU really done, except make a snide reply to a sincere post.
        I'll tell you what it REALLY is Terry.
        It's attitude.
        And I know who has a good one.
        Do you?
        Jeff[8D]



        quote:Originally posted by 63Avanti

        HMMM.....
        on the one hand is 30 years of research, peer reviewed papers by the SAE and other Automotive Engineering professionals.
        on the other hand, there is the very informed person in the next booth.
        As an engineer, I will stick with the peer reviewed SAE papers.
        http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

        Jeff


        Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain



        Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

        Comment


        • #5
          My oil and gasoline have both changed over the past year. It's not the same stuff it was in 1978. While I have great respect for those who are members of the SAE, if knowledge can be gained from an involved employee of the manufacturer, you have to at least listen.

          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Mulberry, FL

          1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

          Tom - Bradenton, FL

          1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

          Comment


          • #6
            [quote]Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

            Hmmm indeed Terry...
            ...
            So tell me Terry... Have you shared any of your SAE papers information?
            What have YOU really done, except make a snide reply to a sincere post....
            Jeff[8D]

            Ok, I made a bad assumption that my postings, many, of these papers here and elsewhere would be remembered without my re-posting. With my apology, you will find full CITATIONS of SAE and other references in the papers at http://systems-engineering-associates/avocation You will NOT see me posting opinions, but backed up by either my test/trial (with pictures) or a published source normally peer reviewed and with FULL citations so the reader is encouraged to not just eat what I say, but can check it out.

            Jeff, could you provide the full citation of the papers you referred to?


            Terry, North Texas
            1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
            (in stage 1 resto "Project A")
            http://sterkel.org/avanti
            1985 Kubota L2202(Diesel)
            1999 Toyota rice burner
            1986 Ford 150 Long Bed

            New resolution.
            I will continue to respond, to the best of my ability, to any query,
            challenge or alternative view relevant to my original post.
            I will not respond to anything off (the original) topic...

            Comment


            • #7
              Seems to me Jeff had something better than "papers"- a face-to-face conversation with ann expert in the field, giving the most up-to-date info on the subject.

              I saw some papers that had written upon them the information that the world is flat. Those got updated as new information as it came along. Isn't that possible on this subject as well?

              A great man once said, when questioned about changing his stance on a given subject- "My opinions change when the facts change".

              Is it possible that's the case here?



              Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

              "Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

              "With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"



              Comment


              • #8
                Spoken like a true engineer...
                I have requested that the chemical engineer and trainer write an article for our club. He said he has written a similar article for another car club, and would consider doing the same for us.
                So, yes, there will be 'papers'.
                'Papers' that you would accept?
                That's up to you.
                I at least shared what I learned without reservation, and I will leave it at that.
                We will see what the future brings.
                Maybe we all can learn something.
                Jeff[8D]



                quote:Originally posted by 63Avanti
                Ok, I made a bad assumption that my postings, many, of these papers here and elsewhere would be remembered without my re-posting. With my apology, you will find full CITATIONS of SAE and other references in the papers at http://systems-engineering-associates/avocation You will NOT see me posting opinions, but backed up by either my test/trial (with pictures) or a published source normally peer reviewed and with FULL citations so the reader is encouraged to not just eat what I say, but can check it out.
                Jeff, could you provide the full citation of the papers you referred to?

                [quote]Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

                Hmmm indeed Terry...
                So tell me Terry... Have you shared any of your SAE papers information?
                What have YOU really done, except make a snide reply to a sincere post....
                Jeff[8D]

                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

                Jeff


                Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain



                Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

                Comment


                • #9
                  I've was fortunate to have been raised in the Detroit area and many of my friend's are engineers with the Big 3. Most, if not all belong to the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers). A couple I know have enough patents credited to them (via their employers), that the plaques cover one of their basement walls (the long one).

                  I've never asked any of my engineering friends to provide the paper, or any other documentation for the stuff they've told me. Building and running a race car, hot rod or any other highly modified car in just about anyway will make you an undegreed engineer real quick. Even cars in slower classes require an understanding of how things work. If I've asked for suggestions, I didn't ask for the papers proving it would work.

                  In a few cases, even the 'great unwashed', non-engineers have come up with stuff you'd swear didn't work and find out it works like a champ. Due to government medling, we have oil and gasoline that is going thru constent change. Buy the time the 'paper' arrives to validate the conclusions based on the real world, the formula has already changed.

                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tom - Mulberry, FL

                  1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

                  Tom - Bradenton, FL

                  1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X