avanti windshield wipers stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• avanti windshield wipers stuck

Just had new blades installed. Today was the 1st.time in the 30yrs.
    that I have owned the car I had to use them.They went to 90"& stopped
    there.I can't get them back to park position.Help!!!!
    Thanks, JNP

Most likely one or both of the wiper pivots are frozen. I would remove the cowl grilles & remove the pivots from the cowl, soak them by themselves in diesel fuel, then work them free. you may at the same time loosen the arms from the back of the wiper motor & make sure all their pivots are free & excersize the motor with no load on it, making sure its operating properly. Perhaps, removing a battery cable & then removing the arm assembly from the back of the wiper motor, then reconnecting the motor to see if it returns to the park position & go from there.

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

thanks warren,I.m on it 2/morrow
      JNP_

Comment

Getting to the arms on the back of the motor is not an easy task on an Avanti. Is the motor trying to get the wipers to return, if so then maybe something is frozen. But if the motor is not working to return the wipers to the down position I would start looking elsewhere.

I would think checking power to the motor would be first, Then checking that the ground is intact. The wiper motor is powered all the time and the switch turns the ground on or off. That enables the wipers to have power for returning to park after you switch them off.

Things are pretty tight under the dash and some loose insulation or misplaced wires can catch on the linkage and lock things up.
        ErnieR

Comment

My best solution to those lame Avanti wipers is to not drive an Avanti
          in the rain.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

First, turn on the power and try tapping on the motor with a hammer. Many times it's just a sticky brush or dirty spot on the armature.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

If it has a fuse I think i would check it first.

Comment

Working...
              X