R2 Carburetor Leaking from Throttle linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2 Carburetor Leaking from Throttle linkage

I've got my R2 running but I have a small leak from the throttle linkage. I've had the carburetor apart 3 times now. The first time, i changed the floats and set them to just to touch a 3/8" drill bit. Float drop set to 3/4". I put the carburetor back on and still had a leak. I then changed the needle put it back together and still have a small leak.

Are the throttle shafts worn to much to cause the leak or should I reset the floats to not touch the 3/8 measure?

1964 GT Hawk R2 Clone
    Oakville, Ontario.

Hamilton Chapter
    See you at Niagara 2008 Crossroads Zone Meet July 18-20
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

probably best to just have the baseplate rebushed. That'll make for tighter mixture control as well. Weren't the throttle shafts sealed with O-rings from the factory? you shouldn't be seeing any leaks there at least on a R2.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

What do you mean by "leak"?

The common problem with worn throttle shafts is that they will suck air under high vacuum conditions and cause a poor idle.

There is no way (I can think of) with an otherwise properly working carb for gas to come out the throttle shafts...(perhaps when the accelerator pump is actuated if they are really badly worn?)

Is there gas ALWAYS coming out the shaft ends?

It sounds to me like the floats are still to high or there is some other problem with the carb reassembly.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick,

I purchased this carburetor from a Member in NY state. He acquired it in the trunk of his R1 Lark and sold it to me for $250. I sent it to Atlanta to be rebuilt. After the "so-called" rebuild, the floats were set WAY to high and float drop was about 2". There was a constant drip coming from the linkage (even pooling). I brought it over to a friends shop and we had a look at it. He changed the floats and set the height with a 3/8 drill bit. The needle showed porosity under his funky lighted magnifying glass, so we change the needles and seats. The leaking is at a minimum now but it is still wet under the throttle linkage. I will most likely today reset the floats to less than 3/8 and keep the float drop to 3/4" to see if that helps with the wet linkage.

I really don't know squat about these carburetors and just want it fixed. I've had nothing but troubles with the entire drive train conversion and the last thing I need is a fire under the hood from leaking gas.

Any advice would be appreciated from someone who know these pressurized carbs.

1964 GT Hawk R2 Clone
        Oakville, Ontario.

Hamilton Chapter
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Try Setting the floats to 7/16".

Peter Sant

Comment

Carbs can be a real pain in the whatever. There are a lot of little passages and delicate seats and things but it is helpful to remember that they are just a place for gasoline to be stored such that it can flow by gravity and get mixed with the intake air. Lets think about this for a minute. If there is gas dripping from the throttle shaft, where is it coming from. There shouldn't be a way for the gas to get there unless there is a crack or something isn't seated properly. I'd want to take it apart and have a real close look. I bought a cheap R2 carb and ended up spending $600 on it to get it right. Dave Thibeault is a good resource for parts and help.

Tim K.
            '64 R2 GT Hawk
            Tim K.
            \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

If the leak occurs after driving for awhile you may be getting fuel percolation. When you shut it off hot the fuel boils and some dribbles out of the venturis, lays on the closed throttle valves and seeps past the bushings and out of the carb.

There also could be some seepage under boost but that is usually evidenced by staining from atomized fuel. A drip would be most likely caused by the scenario above.

R2 carbs don't use any different sealing measures at the throttle shafts but they do have a series of channels in the base that are designed to keep pressure away from the shaft bores while under boost. Cork O rings are used at the mixture screws and sealant is recommended on the rear center screw.

If you haven't checked the heat riser operation, do so. My personal suggestion is get some intake gaskets that block the heat riser passages entirely and remove the heat riser.

Comment

The R2 carb features are explained at:
                http://www.vs57.com/indextech.htm . There's a picture of the special base.
                See "Technical Reference", "Installation", "Carburetor Modification"; and scroll down to the AFB.
                The original floats had reinforcing struts inside, to keep them from collapsing. That would also make them a little heavier. You are supposed to use two gaskets between the air horn and main body. Both effectively raise the level of fuel in the bowl. I'm not sure the float level specs allow for the heavier floats, and extra gasket.
                What fuel pump are you using? Do you have the sediment bowl and return line?
                I think the 90 degree fittings and small, (5/16") size of the line from the pump to the carb, probably lower pressure at the carb. Back pressure, at the pump may make the diaphragm at the output of the pump smooth out the pulses better too. Both would help control flooding at idle. The return line helps too, even though it's restricted at the sediment bowl, to about .050".
                Summit Racing sells the carb inlet valves, and packs of five bowl gaskets, separately. They are made for the Edelbrock AFB replicas, but should be the same.
                Mike M.

Comment

I am only seeing seepage at 700 rpm (idle), above that I see nothing. I've raised the floats again but have not gone as far as 7/16...yet. I'll be trying that before I send this carb out to be professionally looked at.

I am using a thick intake manifold gasket and percolation does not seem an issue since it seeps right at start up.

I'll see what the 7/16" measure on the floats does and report back

Allen

1964 GT Hawk R2 Clone
                  Oakville, Ontario.

Hamilton Chapter
                  1964 GT Hawk
                  PSMCDR 2014
                  PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me

I've had nothing but troubles with the entire drive train conversion
                    Truth is, I'm nervous about this myself... I'm going with an r2 in my Daytona with a 5-spd. I've never had one, and am wondering if I'll really like it, or if it'll be such a PITA that I'll not want to drive the car[xx(]

I reserve the right to go backto a 259 or 289 with 4spd if I don't like it

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

quote:Truth is, I'm nervous about this myself... I'm going with an r2 in my Daytona with a 5-spd. I've never had one, and am wondering if I'll really like it, or if it'll be such a PITA that I'll not want to drive the car

I reserve the right to go backto a 259 or 289 with 4spd if I don't like it
                      I got first dibs on the R2.

That won't happen though. Once you get it together, rev it up and hear that distinctive whine, and launch it for the first time... You'll be hooked. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

I got first dibs on the R2.
                        You got it, buddy! But I'm just wondering how it will behave in a car that won't really be a racecar, but needs to be capable of lots of every day, real-world use....

Time will tell, I guess.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

After thinking more about this I believe you have a crack somewhere. Here's my logic...symptoms from floats so high they cause raw fuel to to dribble onto the throttle blades and out of the carb when the car is running would cause a few other problems. Poor idle quality and hard start from raw fuel dripping into the intake.

I believe that the leak lessened after the last float adjustment because the carb was tightened down a little differently changing the width of the crack

I went out to the garage and looked at my R2 Carb body. The primary throttle shaft intrudes into the bowl area so I believe the casting is thinner there. Also the reservoir for the accel pump has a one way check ball valve that could, if some time in the past, have been tightened too far or cross threaded could stress that area enough to crack it.

It may be something that's virtually invisible when the carb is off the car because it might only spread when the carb is tightened down.

For fuel to make it out of the carb when the car is running it would have to be away from the vaccuum created at the carb opening when the engine is running.

If you can't resolve the problem I can walk you through building an R2 Edelbrock or modern Carter Carb using the top of your original carb and the bottom of a new carb. My Hybrid Edelbrock has been trouble free for years.

Ernie R

Comment

Bige,

I phoned Jon Myers today inquiring about an new carburetor. Holy Crap Big Bucks BATMAN! His reply was: your floats are set too high. He then explained how to set the floats. (Thanks, Jon) I have been adjusting the floats to the heal of the float, nearest to the fulcrum point. TOTALLY WRONG! When I pull the carburetor apart again on Friday I will be setting the floats to the toe of the float. He tells me just past the curve maybe a 1/16" past the curve of the toe.

When I have the carburetor off the car again I will check the bottom of the bowls for any hairline cracks etc. If all else fails I would be interested in building a hybrid out of some other carburetors.

What carburetor base have you used in your hybrid R2?

1964 GT Hawk R2 Clone
                            Oakville, Ontario.

Hamilton Chapter
                            1964 GT Hawk
                            PSMCDR 2014
                            PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Allen, when the carb is off the car and in pieces, fill the float bowls with gas to see if there are any leaks.

Tim K.
                              '64 R2 GT Hawk
                              Tim K.
                              \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X