Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

fixing a hood curve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixing a hood curve

Anyone have a tip for recurving the hood? Don't see any damage, just looks like it has been sitting on the floor and lost some of the arc along the rear. When the center is lined up, both corners are nearly 1/2 inch high. I have plenty of time,if there is a safe slow process.

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
    "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

My hood was badly bent and cracked on one side. Here is what I did: Cut (notch) the brace on the back side in one or two places where its bent with a 1/8" cut off disk, but not all the way down to the bottom. That allows the hood to be flexed with some effort, but not floppy. Then, tack weld small cable turn-buckles to the brace across the cuts. Put the hood on the car and tweak the turn-buckles to suit. Tack weld the cuts and recheck the fit. If OK, weld them the rest of the way, cut off the turn-buckles and grind the bead down. When you are done, put in the CE hood braces or some other equivelent reinforcement so it cannot bend again.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

This is the slow way of doing what you are asking for, but slower is better when doing this. Unhook the hood, and push the hinges out of the way. Take a large wooden dowel rod, like 1" or 1 1/8", and cut it into a couple of short pieces. Put the hood into place, and insert the dowels , wrapped in a soft cloth, between the hood and the cowl. Start in the middle and work the two dowels toward the ends. Works best with two people. Gently push down on the corners of the hood, than reattach the hood, remove the dowels, and check the alignment. If not enough, repeat. Try not to overdo it.

Comment

Now if you are talking about the sides being high, now that is a different proceedure. You are talking about the area along the cowl, correct?

Comment

Sorry that picture came out so dark. If you look close, the corners (where the hood/cowl/fender comes together) is a little high and the dark line in the middle is not a shadow, that's how much lower the hood is, than the cowl. I tried something similar to Chucks suggestion - shimming the center and bringing the corners down with large clamps (through the windshield opening and under the dash) with blocks of oak to protect the hood. what little it moved was in the flange. I think I need to work the channel brace that is a couple of inches off the back lip. Considering notching the brace as Jeff suggested, but I'm afraid of getting minor kinks, not a curve.
          To directly answer the question, yes along the cowl. The curve along the fenders looks good.
          San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
          "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

Comment

Studebaker hoods sometimes unlatch and fly up and do not fit well unless they have been properly lined up, oiled, and proper springs used. Also, sometimes the fenders may not be aligned properly, especially if the car was in a collision and fenders were replaced.

To open the hood, you need to pull it gently towards you before lifting up.

In summary, I would not presume that your hood has flattened. I believe it would be tough to flatten a hood, unless it had been jumped on.

Paul

Comment

If i understand you correctly, the center/rear edge of the hood is low in reference to the cowl, right? Well, this may take a 3 man operation to remedy. I would open the hood & insert 3 wooden blocks, one in the center & the other two between the center block & the hood hinges (one on each side). Then, with one person in front & the other two on each side at the rear corners, slowly close the hood onto the blocks (&have them set so the blocks contact the center first, then the other two) & gently apply pressure to the hood on each side. Be careful not to have the blocks contact the hood brace underneath other than the very rear edge where the hood overlaps the brace. The 3 blocks should spread the load applied so that no further damage to the cowl. Do this a little at a time & dont rush & you should be able to restore the shape of the hood to match up with the cowl & at the same time lower the rear corners.

60 Lark convertible
              61 Champ
              62 Daytona convertible
              63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2)
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I have had to do that same "recurve" on one of my Hawk hoods. I would NOT do this on the car. I used some wood blocks on the floor of the garage. I used pieces of 2x4 cut and stacked under the center of the hood, about 12 inches apart, but do not allow more than an inch or so under the corners. This will prevent the corners from being over bent and kinking the hood. It will not take too much pressure to regain the correct curve. Be patient and do several trial fits after each SMALL bend you make on the hood. It helps to have two people doing this, but it can be done with one. Place shop towels or blankets on the fenders at the corners to be sure not to scratch the paint when doing the trial fitting. Sorry for the poor quality of the picture, but my scanner is on the blink. I had to do it by photo.

sals54
                sals54

Comment

Obviously the dimensions are not perfect on the picture above. Its just a schematic to show the concept of the idea. Only use as many 2x4s as needed to get the corners off the floor an inch or two. Then raise the middle of the hood as needed to get more deflection as you get closer to the desired curve. I hope this explanation is making sense.

sals54
                  sals54

Comment

Working...
                  X