Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Seized brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seized brakes

My 52 Champion has sat for a month due to starter woes. Now the rear brakes have seized. What gives? I have had old cars before that sit all winter without this problem. Now what do I have to do?
    Joe

Nothing. Just move it back and forth a couple feet each way while repeatedly jabbing and releasing the foot brake. You may have to get the stuck wheels on pavement or concrete if they're not.

That should work, but if not, pull the wheel and give the drum a few hard whacks with a BFH. That WILL work.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

If you have the abillity to check the wheel clyinders, one might have leaked. On the other hand, check your parking brake? If there is little tension when you pull, there is a chance that one or both of the mechanical locks on the shoes are stuck.

Please do not attempt to drive it any distance if the parking brake is stuck, you run a good chance of a fire from overheating. I know.

Comment

Working...
      X