Body Panel Fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Panel Fit

On my 1955 Speedster, the gap between the hood and the grill center varies from 1/8" on the driver's side to 1/4" on the passenger side.

I had the same case on my previous 55 Commander, but don't remember if the gap dimensions were the same. Also noticed on photographs on the internet that most 55's have the problem to some degree.

I reinstalled the grill after rechroming and pushed the passenger side center grill up as high as possible thinking that might help to decrease the gap.

I can't think of any other adjustments to the center grill and don't know if any adjustment is possible on the hood.

Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks

Henry

The bodies were set on the frames, with only the HOOD attached at the front. Once secured to the frame, the front end parts were installed and aligned to that pre-installed hood.
    Adjustment IS possible on the hood - there's some latitude at the hinges. And the hood (as was done at the factory) should be set up first (it's alignment with respect to the cowl) before the other stuff's put on. OF COURSE.... the assumption is that the various pieces are all as perfectly shaped as they were when new. That's a big leap of faith unless you'd started with all NOS pieces.
    If the fenders have ever been off, the correct rubber shims would have to have been put back in place or one fender could be sticking out further than the other. If that's the case, there's no way you could ever "adjust" the problem away.[}]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

You have two options, shim fenders to fit the hod or you Torque the hood to match fenders.

On my 1956J we had to "torque" the hood to get a perfect match. Panel gap was not an issue in the 50's.........

It is an addiction!
      It is an addiction!

Comment

Either lift up the front end using the center of the front cross member or remove both front wheels with car a little off the floor, not a full jacking. Where the front of the fenders meet the frame rails you might be able to add a few large washers or a thin piece of rubber to get the fenders to snug up to the hood.

If you are not in a rush, check Ray Fitchthorn's web pages on how to align the front end sheet metal. On my car, after I thought I had everything aligned, Wayne Morris, Tony Caralla's grandson spent a day re-alligning the fenders. There is another alignment you can try and that is with the hood latch. It can be moved almost 1/2 inch in four directions, and it will affect alignment. With this method you will need to loosen the hinge screws very slightly so once you nail it you can still raise the hood and tighten the hinge screws.

However, before you knock yourself out, if you look through Ed Reynolds Book on the Hawk series you will notice many factory photos where no two hoods line up the same. Some guys have been very successfull in getting a perfect gap around the hood, and some have gotten very close.

Comment

Hey Billy, any chance you could post a link to Ray's web site?

Thanks

Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

1957 Packard Clipper
            1958 Golden Hawk
            1963 Daytona Convertible
            1963 R2 Daytona
            1963 R2 GT Hawk
            1963 R1 Wagonaire
            1963 R4 Avanti
            1964 Champ
            1966 Cruiser

Comment

Working...