Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StudeRich
    replied
    I am sure Mr. Biggs knows, but for the record: Calif. has a box on the registration card and the Title for "Yr.Model" AND "Yr. first sold" it would be a typo if they are not both filled in or the yr. sold shown as 00/00/00 if unknown (my older titles even have the actual date). California's registration system is by far the best in the Country, and they do understand that it's yr. model is the advertised configuration year of the vehicle. Way better system than some states that have their heads completely in the sand and do not even believe in issuing titles!

Of course we all know this 1957 with a date sold of 1956 is quite common since most all year models were sold beginning in Sept. of the prior year.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Alan, I've got an old registration here in front of me. (California - "pink slip") This one's for the '57 President 2-door I have. It shows the car to be a '57 but says: "Date Sold - 56". What you would get from that?[?]
    StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Mr biggs thanks alot, sounds like you have been around
    studebakers awhile and know your stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    There's no "secret codes" tied up in these old Stude numbers. They simply reveal the trucks place in the sequence of production. The E indicates it's a 55 or later, And since the serial number is as late as it is, this means this truck is really a 2E (which is what the designator for '56 models is) as opposed to a just plain E (whichj is what the designator for '55 models is). Really - your truck is a 2E5, but for whatever reason, these things were registered using only the "E" as a first numeral in the serial numbers. And if you think that's goofy, consider that 57s and 58s wore 3E as their designator! I said there were no "secret codes" in the number, but the "5" right after the E tells us it was a half ton with the 185cu.in. six cylinder engine. If it had originally come with a V8, it would be a 2E7.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Mr. Biggs can you tell me anything else about the
    serial number on this vehicle.
    thanks

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    It's a '56

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    Tanna,

if you're still reading this, just wanted to say that it is great to see a DMV employee going "above and beyond" to resolve a titling issue like this. If you ever move to VA let me know where you end up working

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    can anybody tell me the year of manf. for
    serial number E5-119XXX.
    studebaker pu.
    thanks

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I would like to thank every one for their help. I contacted the museumn that M.Biggs told me about and I was able to confirm the year as a 1951. So thank you all again.

Tanna

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    The DOT standardized VIN's in the mid '70's, starting with the 1981 model year. Prior to this, the numbering system was left up to the manufacturer. This includes all foreign models as well. Prior to this, it was the states decision on how the car was titled.

Current VIN's show the country the vehicle was built in, types of restraint systems, engines, assembly plant, model, trim level (in some cases), and body style. Older 'serial numbers' could have some of this information, or a straight rolling counter from the assembly plant. Mostr cars, even foreign ones had a break point to designate one model year from another. This did not stop some states from titling some cars based on date sold, engine number, etc., right up until 1981.

Depending on your DMV, a little explaination will go along way with some DMV employees dealing with older cars. After explaining the issue with the "I" vs "1" deal (and having a copy of the Production Order), the Michigan Secretary of State made the necessary changes to correct the number when I submitted the old CA title for new. Some DMV's are easier to deal with than others, and the same can be said about their employees.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
    Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
    LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com

Leave a comment:

• garyash
    replied
    I fixed it. Thanks again, Skip.

Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, MA
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    www.studegarage.com

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by garyash

I took Skip's numbers and some info from the June 1985 article in Turning Wheels by Fred Fox and put a quick web page together on the 2R serial numbers. It's here:
    http://www.studegarage.com/REFDATA/2R_sernum.htm

We're getting very close now. We still can't distinguish 2R5, 2R10, 2R15, 2R16A, and 2R17A trucks between 1950 and 1951 (if it's really imporatnt). Maybe a few people could post serial numbers for trucks built in August-October 1950 to get an idea.

Also there is a discrepancy between the serial numbers in the service letters that Skip references and the Fred Fox June,1985 article in TW on 2R trucks for 2R16A and 2R17A trucks. Fred stated that the first serial numebr for 2R16A is R16A-13,201 and for 2R17A trucks is R17A-7,201. I have no idea where Fred got the numbers. How do we resolve the difference?

Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, MA
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    www.studegarage.com
    Gary-
    A minor glitch in your listing: The 2R6, 2R11, and 2R14 were introduced late in the 1950 model year (my recollection is June 1950, but I don't have access to my sales letter collection at the moment). Their serial numbers all started at 001. Apparently a small number of these were sold as 1950 models, as my serial number listing above shows 1951 models starting at R6-201, R11-101, and R14-101. Your listing does not include these in the 1950 data, and shows the 2R6 models starting at R6-101 instead of 201. Of course, the uncertainty regarding the 1950/51 split for Champion-engined trucks remains.

Skip

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Years ago I bought a 48 Cadillac hearse for which the title had been lost. When I tried to obtain a duplicate the lady at our DMV told me that, since Pennsylvania had updated to computerized records, she was sorry but the vehicle no longer existed.[:0]
    And David Copperfield had not yet been born.

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    MG's were dated by year sold, don't know if they did the same for Non foreign cars. 2007 cars being sold now should they be regestered as 2006's? You can get into many different scenerios depending on the situation. Calif. D.M.V. can make you want to tear your hair out. Am parting out a 53K now that I bought in 1977 from a guy who's son died in Vietnam, said he would look for the pink. Sat in my yard for years. Went looking for the guy I bought it from and he died in 96. So I went to Sacramento 2 years ago to get it straightened out and seams to have had a fire in the archives and there is no record of anything before 1985. It is just one episode of chaseing your tail after another.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    U.S. Postal Service back then was so efficient, mail was received before it was sent.[)]

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Alan, I've got an old registration here in front of me. (California - "pink slip") This one's for the '57 President 2-door I have. It shows the car to be a '57 but says: "Date Sold - 56". What you would get from that?[?]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

Leave a comment:

Working...
X