No announcement yet.

vin number help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to thank every one for their help. I contacted the museumn that M.Biggs told me about and I was able to confirm the year as a 1951. So thank you all again.

Tanna

Comment

can anybody tell me the year of manf. for
      serial number E5-119XXX.
      studebaker pu.
      thanks

Comment

Tanna,

if you're still reading this, just wanted to say that it is great to see a DMV employee going "above and beyond" to resolve a titling issue like this. If you ever move to VA let me know where you end up working

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

It's a '56

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr. Biggs can you tell me anything else about the
            serial number on this vehicle.
            thanks

Comment

There's no "secret codes" tied up in these old Stude numbers. They simply reveal the trucks place in the sequence of production. The E indicates it's a 55 or later, And since the serial number is as late as it is, this means this truck is really a 2E (which is what the designator for '56 models is) as opposed to a just plain E (whichj is what the designator for '55 models is). Really - your truck is a 2E5, but for whatever reason, these things were registered using only the "E" as a first numeral in the serial numbers. And if you think that's goofy, consider that 57s and 58s wore 3E as their designator! I said there were no "secret codes" in the number, but the "5" right after the E tells us it was a half ton with the 185cu.in. six cylinder engine. If it had originally come with a V8, it would be a 2E7.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr biggs thanks alot, sounds like you have been around
                studebakers awhile and know your stuff.

Comment

I am sure Mr. Biggs knows, but for the record: Calif. has a box on the registration card and the Title for "Yr.Model" AND "Yr. first sold" it would be a typo if they are not both filled in or the yr. sold shown as 00/00/00 if unknown (my older titles even have the actual date). California's registration system is by far the best in the Country, and they do understand that it's yr. model is the advertised configuration year of the vehicle. Way better system than some states that have their heads completely in the sand and do not even believe in issuing titles!

Of course we all know this 1957 with a date sold of 1956 is quite common since most all year models were sold beginning in Sept. of the prior year.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Alan, I've got an old registration here in front of me. (California - "pink slip") This one's for the '57 President 2-door I have. It shows the car to be a '57 but says: "Date Sold - 56". What you would get from that?[?]
                  StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                  X