Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Alternator replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator replacement

What is the best alternator to use as a replacement for my 64 Cruiser 289 as far as fit and ease of wiring?

Easiest? Another Studebaker alternator. Shouldn't be too hard to get. Or take your alternator to a good local auto electric shop and have it rebuilt. The brushes and diodes are still available, as are the bearings.

Probably the simplest OTHER alternator to install would be the "basket-style" one used on Chrysler products for many, many years. I think it will bolt up to the Studebaker bracket, maybe with the aid of a few washers, and the electrical connections are the same.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

Easiest? Another Studebaker alternator.
      I agree. No need to invent something. I had the one done on my '63 for about $80 here locally. New everything. Solid state regulators are available also that look almost identical to the originals.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Just as easy is a late 60's MOPAR unit. It'll bolt on with a few flat washer spacers and uses the stock regulator and wiring. (Looks like this)

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...ype=11&PTSet=A

JDP/Maryland
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks all. Went through my stash of spare parts and found a spare alternator and put it on. Took the car over to my friendly neighborhood stude fixer and had him test the circuit - all is well at this time. I'll have the other rebuilt. Just wanted to have everything working well before the Coleman, Mi., car show on the 14th. Thanks again.

Comment

http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/.../hondaalt.html

Could do my Honda Alt swap. Looks factory.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I agree. No need to invent something. I had the one done on my '63 for about $80 here locally. New everything. Solid state regulators are available also that look almost identical to the originals.
              Can you get a solid state regulator for a generator equipped (Delco) Stude[?]

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar Deluxe
              Vancouver Island
              </h5>
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander
              Zone Coordinator
              Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Randy Rundle (Fifth Avenue Internet Garage) offers

Solid State Generator Cutout Direct replacement for all 6/12-volt 35-amp and smaller generators that originally had a mechanical, cutout type voltage regulator. No mechanical points to adjust or wear out. No more battery drain. Greatly improves charging system reliability.
                Part #02415SSC-$45.00 each

He also offers 6 and 12 volt alternators.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
                Tom Bredehoft
                '53 Commander Coupe
                '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                (Under Construction) 267 hrs.
                '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

Randy Rundle (Fifth Avenue Internet Garage) offers

Solid State Generator Cutout Direct replacement for all 6/12-volt 35-amp and smaller generators that originally had a mechanical, cutout type voltage regulator. No mechanical points to adjust or wear out. No more battery drain. Greatly improves charging system reliability.
                  Part #02415SSC-$45.00 each

He also offers 6 and 12 volt alternators.

Tom Bredehoft
                  Excellent! Thanks Tom.

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar Deluxe
                  Vancouver Island
                  </h5>
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander
                  Zone Coordinator
                  Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Working...