Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

What Year?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Year?????

A easy question. What year did Studebaker go to a 12 Volt neg. ground system???

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
    Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

It is. For Studebaker, 55s were 6v, 56s were 12v.

Paul

Comment

For clarification: 55 was 6v positive ground, 56 was 12v negative ground.

Comment

Thanks, I know Ford went in 56 and Chev in I think 55,wasn't sure on Stude.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
        Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

Was wondering if anyone makes a conversion kits for a 1950 stude 2r pickup..want to convert to all wheel disc..or will i have to get a chevy front end and rear end to do so...also no title for truck how do i go about getting one becuase there is no vin# with car..restro project so have time but want to get the ball going on this please help..

Comment

Jim Turner makes a disc brake kit for your truck...
            Hope the info helps.
            Jeff[8D]

http://www.turnerbrake.com/truckkits.html

quote:Originally posted by HotRodLincoln

Was wondering if anyone makes a conversion kits for a 1950 stude 2r pickup..want to convert to all wheel disc..or will i have to get a chevy front end and rear end to do so...also no title for truck how do i go about getting one becuase there is no vin# with car..restro project so have time but want to get the ball going on this please help..
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

[navy][b]Jim Turner makes a disc brake kit for your truck...
              I don't know if Jim makes disk conversions for the rear of early 2R trucks yet, but if not, late Champ drum rears are a bolt on and give you modern self energizing drum brakes.

If you are converting to 4 wheel disks, you are probably also updating the engine and trany. If so, you'll probably want a different rear end also.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Those 8E Champ brakes will be tough to find tho. Not too many 8E donors around anymore.

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by KGlowacky

Thanks, I know Ford went in 56 and Chev in I think 55,wasn't sure on Stude.
                  We had a 1955 Chevy truck and it was 6 volt (battery in the floorboard).

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

quote:We had a 1955 Chevy truck and it was 6 volt (battery in the floorboard).
                    It must have been an early (first series) 55. The late 55 Chevy pickups were 12 volt with the battery in the engine compartment. I think all GM and Packard were 12 volt in 55 (maybe Nash)and the rest changed over in 56.

Leonard Shepherd
                    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Leonard, It was a first series (I had that in my response and then took it out before posting). Despite being a 6 volt system, it had 2 speed electric wipers from the factory.

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Working...
                      X