Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

I have purchased a new bird - 56 Power Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have purchased a new bird - 56 Power Hawk

I think I have seen my (2) questions discussed before and have searched for them but have been unable to locate either of them. If I am correct I apologize in advance for asking about a previously discussed topic. [8]
    I have just purchased a 56 Power Hawk, don't have it yet but I am doing a little of advance planning.
    #1 What is the correct engine color for a 56 Power Hawk (259)?
    #2 What is the correct back space measurement of the wheels for the 56 Power Hawk?
    I just ordered a shop manual and parts manual but have not yet received them either.

Studebaker Fever
    60 Lark
    51 Champion
    Phil
    Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
    60 Lark
    56 Power Hawk
    Phil Hendrickson
    Arnold, Missouri

Phil; the engine color would be Turquoise, the regular Stude. light green color used on '56-'57's. It is very close to "Old Ford Green", but is available at S.I. in quarts or spray cans.

I don't know the backspace, but I can tell you they should be body color, 4 1/2in. 5 lug bolt pattern, 5 inches wide X15 in. they have 3 small rectangular "slots" cut near center for the small hub cap clips. Same as all '51-'57 Stude. cars except '56J Golden Hawk (had 5 1/2 in. wide).

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

60lark, is that the one out of nebraska that you were talking about at the Omaha met? It sounded like a great deal!

Comment

StudeRich - Thanks, It looks as though I will have to do very little to the engine since it is already Turquoise. It also has the correct wheels and color, but I was thinking of getting wider wheels than the stock wheels [?] Wider wheels sure made my 60 Lark and 51 Champion handle better.
        Whacker - Yep, the owner sent me several current pics of the car. After I saw the pics and talked a little more in depth with him, I felt that the car was worth more than he was asking, so I made an offer that he readily accepted. But since he was leaving for Arizona for the winter (not in the Hawk), I sent him a deposit check along with a sales/purchase agreement which he signed and returned. I will drive up to get the car when he returns in the spring. I figured that would give me time to sell my 51 Champion, to make room for the Power Hawk. The Champion was sold to the 1st person to look at it, so I now have the room and will be eagerly awaiting spring. The Power Hawk has new Paint, new Phantom Interior, new tires, a freshly rebuilt engine (less than 100 miles since rebuild), along with numerous misc. upgrades, I think it was a steal, even if it needs additional attention, there is plenty of availble room between the purchase price and the value of the car

Studebaker Fever
        60 Lark
        51 Champion
        Phil
        Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
        60 Lark
        56 Power Hawk
        Phil Hendrickson
        Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Hey! Congrats Phil. Sounds like it's a nice car. How about a photo of it?

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks Bob, The only pics I have are 35MM photos that were sent to me by the seller, I will try to get them scanned so I can down load them, I don't own a scanner, but may be able to get a friend to scan them for me. Will let you know.

Studebaker Fever
            60 Lark
            51 Champion
            Phil
            Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
            60 Lark
            56 Power Hawk
            Phil Hendrickson
            Arnold, Missouri

Comment

60Lark, I think you got a great deal! The seller seemed like a really nice guy, and his asking price sounded reasonable to me. I bought some small parts from him and have been pretty well satisfied with both price and quality. Since you have the room for it, and winter hasn't really set in yet, tou should try to get it home now! Good luck with it!

Comment

Yes, he is a real nice fella, I made a few inquiries about him and only received positive feedback, all say he is as honest as they get, so I feel very comfortable with the deal. But I will have to wait until he returns from Arizona, he left just a couple of days after we confirmed the deal.

Studebaker Fever
                60 Lark
                51 Champion
                Phil
                Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
                60 Lark
                56 Power Hawk
                Phil Hendrickson
                Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Phil,
                  Good going! Sounds like a super nice car. Will go well with your Lark for sure.

I'm not sure of the backspacing on the stock wheels either, but I don't think backspacing is a big issue. There is plenty of room in the back between the brake drum face and the spring for a wider wheel...the problem will be between the brake drum face and the wheel well lip (front spacing). Somewhat tighter in the front between the brake drum face and suspension components, but not a big deal unless you are going nuts with the wheels. I have 15 x 6 with 3" backspacing on my '54. They fit tight, but they fit.

N8N is the real expert on C/K wheel and tire sizing. Hopefully he'll chime in here. If not, drop him a note.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

The wheels I had been looking at were 15x7 /3.75 backspace / -6mm offset

Studebaker Fever
                    60 Lark
                    51 Champion
                    Phil
                    Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
                    60 Lark
                    56 Power Hawk
                    Phil Hendrickson
                    Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Here is some data I compiled while researching putting 6" rims on my '53. The '53 rims are probably the same as your '56's [?]

Stock '53 rim:

Tire bead inside Width: 5"
                      Overall outside width: 6-1/8"
                      Backspacing: 4-3/8"
                      Offset (tire centerline to inside edge): 1-5/16"
                      Center hole ID: 2-3/4"

Stock '63 lark rim:

Tire bead inside width: 4-1/2"
                      Overall outside width: 5-5/8"
                      Backspacing: 3-5/8"
                      Offset (tire centerline to inside edge): 1-1/16"
                      Center hole ID: forgot to measure

6" Ford rim, NWRA X-40273:

Tire bead inside width: 6"
                      Overall outside width: 7-1/8"
                      Backspacing: 4-1/8"
                      Offset (tire centerline to inside edge): 9/16"
                      Center hole ID: 2-3/4"

I've now got the 6" ford rims on the '53 with 205 radials. The only thing I had a issue with is with the saginaw PS the handling got a little twitchy on the highway. I adjusted the caster 2 full turns to lean the kingpins backwards farther and it helped a lot.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Phil, are you planing to run the same size wheels all around on your Hawk? I would have to look up the back spacing measurements, but I am running 15x8 wheels on the back of my Power Hawk without any problems. I don't think that the wheels you are looking at have enough backspacing though, and the tires will probably hit the fenders on the rear. The front has more of a problem with the tie rods, but I am running skinny tires on the front so I didn't have to worry about it.
                        David

Comment

Jeff - Thanks for the info

Hawk, yes my plans were to run the same size all the way around.

I was going to get the wheels before I go get the car, but I think I had better wait until I have the car and wheels in my possesion, so I can take some accurite measurements. Thanks

Studebaker Fever
                          60 Lark
                          51 Champion
                          Phil
                          Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
                          60 Lark
                          56 Power Hawk
                          Phil Hendrickson
                          Arnold, Missouri

Comment

I had the photos scanned, the photos do not have the shadows and are not as dark as the scanned images show but you can still get a pretty good idea as to the condition of the car.

Studebaker Fever
                            60 Lark
                            51 Champion
                            Phil
                            Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
                            60 Lark
                            56 Power Hawk
                            Phil Hendrickson
                            Arnold, Missouri

Comment

That's beautiful! Why do you want to change the wheels?

quote:Originally posted by 60Lark

I had the photos scanned, the photos do not have the shadows and are not as dark as the scanned images show but you can still get a pretty good idea as to the condition of the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X