Gas tank Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tank Woes

I have been having problems putting gas in my 48 champion I cant seem to get more than half a tank into the car when im fueling the tank starts gurlguling and comes right up to top of the neck i recently changed my sending unit and had it rebuilt i could see inside the tank and it looks clean i am planning to put new vent hose on i have a new vented cap on but i also noticed that when i remove the cap i have alot of pressure waiting to escape does anyone have any ideas?

I am no expert,but I think you are on the right track. I think it is the vent hose and the "pressure' is air wanting to get in not out.

Comment

Agree with the above about replacing the vent hose. And if pressure is released when you remove the gas cap, then you don't have a vented cap (or it's plugged up). Try blowing through it in both directions. Vented gas caps disappeared from new cars in the early 70s, so they're getting a bit hard to find at auto parts stores.

Skip Lackie
      Washington DC
      Skip Lackie

Comment

I thought '48 Champions only had filler necks; no vent hoses. I've been wrong before.

If I'm not wrong, I would suspect a collapsed filler neck hose.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I had the same problems with my 48 Champion. Replaced the vent hose that runs from the tank to the filler neck and the refueling problem was solved. I put three different gas caps on and finaly wound up with a locking cap that did not push gas out upon removal.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Could one drill a small hole in a NON vented gas cap and have a suitable vented gas cap?

Comment

The locking gas cap makes sense, there are more and news reports of stolen gas.

Comment

Working...
              X