Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Transmission leak, 1953 Starliner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission leak, 1953 Starliner

Hello gentlemen!

I noticed yesterday that my 1953 Starliner was leaking from the front end of the transmission. I haven't hed the chance to get the automobile on to a lift yet, but from what I could find out from "crawling" under it, it drip quite steadily/ frequently from a "gap" between the front end of the transmission and the rear end of the engine when the engine is running/the tranmission has been engaged.
    When the engine does not run, the leak stops, or at least almost stops.

Is this just a gasket? - Sounds normal for an old transmission of this type?
    I am not yet that familiar with Studes, so I thought I'd ask.
    I'll also have a closer look at the car when the weekend comes, and perhaps get my transmission workshop manual out into the daylight.

Any experiences shared regarding this topic will be well received, though. - Thanks!
    \"There are two speeds in life - flat out and faster\"(Burt Munro)

1953 Starliner(\"hot rod\" project)
    1953 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe(original - SOLD...).
    Proud member of SDC:-)

Kvinesdal, Norway(land of vikings and midnight sun) :-)

quote:Originally posted by Ralphie
    I noticed yesterday that my 1953 Starliner was leaking from the front end of the transmission. I haven't hed the chance to get the automobile on to a lift yet, but from what I could find out from "crawling" under it, it drip quite steadily/ frequently from a "gap" between the front end of the transmission and the rear end of the engine when the engine is running/the tranmission has been engaged.
    When the engine does not run, the leak stops, or at least almost stops.
    Is this just a gasket? - Sounds normal for an old transmission of this type?
    I am not yet that familiar with Studes, so I thought I'd ask.
    I'll also have a closer look at the car when the weekend comes, and perhaps get my transmission workshop manual out into the daylight.
    Any experiences shared regarding this topic will be well received, though. - Thanks!
    Automatic or manual? If it's an automatic, it needs seals. My '53 automatic leaks a little. Until it gets worse I figured topping off the tranny every so often is a lot easier than dropping it to replace the seals.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
    Museum R-4 engine
    1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
    1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Have you definitely determined if you are leaking transmission fluid from the front of the transmission or engine oil from the rear of the engine?

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Yes, the Stude is bleeding bad - Red oil/ transmission oil.

If I take the tranny down I might as well change as much as possible. Any kits recommended from any of the parts dealers?

Comment

By the way, it is an automatic.

Stay young - Live life with ROCK'N ROOOOOOLL!!!

Comment

Ralphie,
            You may have to "live life" with getting that transmission fixed first. You'll just have fluid all over everything under the car from the tranny back to whomever's car is following you on the road trying to figure out what car yours is. Seals are cheap (front and rear) and a good transmission rebuild shop can do that quickly if you drop it yourself. Most vendors have the seals. If it shifts well now, then just do the seals. IMHO I would have it all looked at and get it correct while it's out of the car. You'll be good to go for a long time and have few worries. Any good U.S. car mechanics near you in Norway? Stude transmissions are very reasonable to fix here, unlike a SAAB tranny job. Big difference in price. Good luck.

Comment

Hie Barnlark, and thanks a lot for your pieces of info and advice.

We do have a couple of good amcar-workshops here in Norway, but I have yet to find out if they are good with Studes...

I will probably have to get the parts from the States(or maybe from Sweden). Studes are extremely rare here and doesn't make a good buisness for Norwegian parts dealers.. I reckon some of the companies that advertise in Turning Wheel can help me with parts?

Yes, the tranny shifts beautifully. It's a Studebaker high quality tranny, you know[8D] Chevy could probably learn something there...-remember "the fabulous" TH 700 truck and van tranny? - At least here in Norway that tranny caused a lot of headeaches some years ago.

BTW: What does IMHO mean? I am not familiare with that abbreviation, I'm afraid.

Live life with ROCK'N ROOOOOLL - after fixing the tranny..!

Comment

The Borg Warner DG200 automatic transmission in your car was used, with slight variations, in other makes of cars. For example, Jaguar used that transmission into the 1960s. This may help you in locating a mechanic with experience on the unit and for finding parts. Here, in the USA, I have used Studebaker parts to repair Jaguar automatic transmissions. For you, the opposite would probably apply.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

IMHO means "in my humble opinion"

Frank van Doorn
                  1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
                  1963 Daytona Conv
                  1941 Champion R-2 Rod
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                  1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                  1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

So I will check the "Jaguar-lead" out.

However, if that shouldn't work out, are there any parts suppliers in the States that any of you would especially recommend for a viking/ for over-seas services?

Comment

"In my humble oppinion". - Right. I'll remember that. Thanks!

And Gary, that piece of info about those transmission also have been used in Jaguars into the sixties is a VERY GOOD advice for me. There are quite some classic Jags around Norway, and the Jag-owners also have a club with some knowledgable people here. - Thanks a lot

Comment

My last two comments/ postings here got mixed up, The "In my humble...etc" and "thank you for the Jag-info, Gary" - posting should have come first....

Comment

I want to make it clear, the transmission in your car, if original, is not exactly the same as the transmission used in 1960s Jaguars. Your car used a Borg-Warner DG200. The Jaguars used a B-W DG 250 as used in 1955 Studebaker Presidents. 95% is the same and gaskets, etc. will be the same.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thank you for the additional info, Gary.

There is a holliday in Norway now, until Tuesday, but come next week, I will check out this lead that you gave me.
                            Thanks! :-)

Comment

There seems to be a lot of folks in Sweden with Studebakers. Those members would be a good lead. I bet they have it all figured out and would be of great help. Studegary is the man..I had no idea that sixties Jag parts had some interchangeability with Stude tranny parts. What a tip!

Comment

Working...
                              X