Auto Trans ??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Trans ??????

I have a 53 Champion with 54 V8 with auto transmission in it, the rear axel has a #23 on case and all drums are 9" so heres the question. how do I ID which transmission I have in the car, from what I read in manual they look alike but have internal differences? Are Champion & Commander transmissions intercangeable? thanks -- alf

Check the model no. and serial no. on the metal tag on the left side of the main case. If the trans is from a 1954 V8 car, the tag should be painted either black (model DG-200, serial no. starts with SCO-) or silver with blue stripes (model DG 200-M, serial no. starts with SCC-.
    In 'D' position, the DG-200 starts out in intermediate, or 2nd gear, and upshifts once. The DG-200M starts out in low and upshifts twice.

Dwain G.
    So.....if I'm 'pre-approved' why do you want me to fill out an application?

Comment

I'll check that out this week---thanks---alf

Comment

Alex, this may be slightly off-topic but worth noting; you do know that your rear axle and brakes are Champion, and should be changed to Commander right? If I were going to do that, I would just use the new MUCH improved '54 to '66 V-8 11" & 10" brakes all around, with the model 44 V-8 rear axle.

quote:Originally posted by Alexander Feiman

I have a 53 Champion with 54 V8 with auto transmission in it, the rear axel has a #23 on case and all drums are 9"
        StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

A new rear axel is planned and most likely disc in front---thanks----alf

Comment

Working...
          X