Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Avanti Steering Column Seal Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Steering Column Seal Plate

I have replaced my carpet and in so doing, I removed the three rubber rivets (or whatever they are called) that affixes the steering column seal, through the plate, the carpet, and the firewall.

Does anyone have any experience in putting these back in? Care to share the wizardry that may be required?

Thanks in advance!

========================
    63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
    Martinez, CA

If they have a hole in the center, insert a phillips screwdriver and press in.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

John,

Thanks. I was kinda hoping that you would chime in!!

They don't have exactly a sizable hole. I had thought a real thin philips or an awl, but didn't want to chance it without a little wisdom.

========================
      Martinez, CA

Comment

Anything with a blunt end will stretch the tip so it'll fit.

JDP/Maryland
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Thats how I did mine,but be careful,if the blade is to long it will poke thru the other end.To make sure it didnt go thru I placed enough washers on the screw driver between the handle and the fastener to give it support.That allows you to put pressure on it to push it thru. Some silicone spray or other lube will also help.It can be frustrating but they will go in.

Bob Langer
          Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
          Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Bob,

Thanks for the extra technique. I still have to do that - maybe tomorrow.

========================
            Martinez, CA

Comment

Working...
            X