building a 202cu. engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THANK YOU PACKER V/8 FOR THE BOOST
    IRRATIONALITY IS PROOF THAT UNCENSORED IMAGINATION IS WORKING.
    Lets not forget the Spruce Goose, it did fly; or that 20 years ago i stuck a 392 cast iron Hemi
    in a Dodge Aspen and turn 10's.or the time i bolted two Crosleys together and made my own dragon 8.Sometimes we do thing for the hell of it.If i won't to build a heavily modified triumph racer which by the way it does have a fiberglass La Dawri body and now a undersized overweight studie V/8 if dumb luck holds out.I think that is GREAT.
    SO wish me luck ,Your plan of action seems reasonable.i would add that i an a high compression kinda guy,the reason i chose the stude is the fact that it has the ability too be boosted beyond reason. so with that knowage i reason i can run 12.5 or 13 CR and the motor should live. my BOP 215 could never handle more than 11to1.

MIKEDALTON (stillinthehighdesert)

Comment

Which LaDawri body do you have on that frame? And I put a 430 Lincoln in a 49 Crosley Station wagon. But I only did it because someone told me I couldn't. What an abortion, but hell I was only 19.

Comment

You'll probably want custom pistons for sure then to get over 13:1. Even flat tops will only get you about 10.25:1 on a 289, which is a much longer stroke.

I'd recommend using heads from a 224/259/289 as well, you don't want the tiny ports of the 232. You'll need matching exhaust manifolds, all this stuff ought to be readily available.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Another option on the compression would be to remember that the heads can be milled up to .125. Yes, 1/8th inch. I did it on a 259 some years ago. It creates what appears to be a "closed chamber" type combustion area with a large quech area. It helped my 259 really come alive.
          sals54

Comment

THANKS, i have a set of bare 555 heads n.o.s so they tell me.been spending days reading old post i have learned alot about head work, harden seat, chevy valves,duel springs , If anyone has a contact at Jahns or aris ,egge let me know i been out of the loop for a while too much time playing with rotory's. by the way the body shell is a Victeress

mike dalton

Comment

An S-5 like this one?

Comment

Ross and CP pistons have recently built pistons for Studebakers. The challange will be to get the right design for a pup-up piston that works with the Studebaker. This normally requires some experimentation to get the right shape that provides proper flame propagation. Perhaps one of the piston manufactureres can help. Most of us involved with high performance Studebakers are usinging supperchargers so we haven't had to worry about pop-up pistons.

I should mention that the R4 used them.

David L
                David L

Comment

Building a 750lb engine that has just 202c.i. for the express purpose of installing it in a TR3 does not seem feasible, especially for the expense it would entail. Not to be snarky, but I would suggest thinking "inside the box", if you are looking for a way to utilize the parts you've acquired.

Comment

Torker is exaggerating to some degree. A complete, ready-to-run dry Studebaker V8 is [u]only</u> 695#.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                    PackardV8

Comment

Alan how do you add images? Go to la dawri.com and look at Victeress C3 coupe until i can figure out how to add my photo.I wish i never mention the TR3 frame most people can not imagine that these box sheet steel frames have the torsional integrity ,but i assure you they do.In the late 50's and 60's they were a common structure for many home made racers.
                      As far as weight go's the fore and aft in any car regardless of the weight of motor and trans are the balance any performance car must achieve.In my case adding approximately 300 pounds to the aft will settle down a tail happy car. As for piston's i will be contacting makers this week pin height and crown will be the subject,don't won't to upset the quench area and no valve interference. by the way i also have a set of 289 domed pistons used but can be knurled i won't be needing

MIKE DaLton 1-520-896-2957 cell 1-520-490-4211

Comment

The C-3 was usually put on 39-41 Ford frames.

Comment

My Victress was built in the early 60's it originally had a henry j chassis.

Comment

You will be happy with a 224 and the T-10 4 speed then, just dig for the parts and don't go too exotic. (Expensive). The small bore of the 232 just hampers the top end breathing that little motor can do.

Comment

Working...
                            X