1959 Lark Engine serial number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 Lark Engine serial number

I have a 1959 Lark with the 6cyl. I have a leak between the head and the block. I am trying to figure out weather this is the same 6cyl. as the champion, because I would like to order a new head for it, but every plance I look they only show heads for 6cyl Champion motor. Is this motor the same as what is in my car?

Thank you,
    Troy M. Nyhus
    Prescott, WI

If your car has the original engine, it's a 170 cu in Champion 6. The larger 246 ci Commander 6 was only used in trucks after 1950.

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Thank you very much!

Comment

....just a note: remove the head and check it and the block for flatness(?). If this engine ran hot at any time or has "enough" miles on it, the surface(s) could be distorted and a new head won't solve the problem. A new head gasket is a must and might solve your issues at any level of distortion....or not. Planing the surface(s) is the only real answer if distorted enough. I believe the shop manual gives guidelines for measurements. Also, a small tech tip:
        Loosen all the head bolts a few turns each before removal.......If you remove tham one at a time you might get some binding on your last few bolts (screws).....You might find the gasket is as pricey as the head......Oh, one other thing.....get the domestic head vs. the export (low compression) one.......GL

Comment

Thank you Jackb. The Lark is my first Studebaker. So I am a little new to this. I have been a drivers club member for awhile. I thought it would be a good Idea to actually have a car to enjoy.

Comment

If you are getting water into the combustion chambers dont let it sit to long without running it. I would fire the motor up every couple days to insure rust doesn't set in.

Comment

Troy, Why are you ordering a new head? Have you already checked it for trueness? I don't mean to insinuate that you have not already gone through the process, but Jackb also makes a good point to check the block too. You may have just worn out the head gasket, but on we go, eh?
              sals54

Comment

Hi Sales54,
                I have not checked the head. I just thought it would be easier to have the parts on hand in case the head was warped. I figured if the head was not warped I would have a spare just in case this situation happened again, but you are right I should check it first. The lark is my first Studebaker so I am not sure what quirks to expect. Any help is appreciated.

Comment

Welcome to the '59-'60 fold, Troy! Always an adventure in parts searches. Save your pennies for extras much more hard to find. That head may be fine needing only the basics. Believe me, being a "buy a hard to find spare part" kind of guy, you can go overboard with your first Stude and it can get crazy before you know it. I'm far from any kind of expert, but have only spent time on the '59-'60 Larks, so if you need anything and have questions I can try to answer them, look in my stash, or steer you in the right direction. The great experienced mechanical guys will NOT steer you wrong here. If you've been a member for awhile, you know that already. Good Luck!

Comment

Troy,
                    Any good machine shop will check the head for trueness with a special straight edge they have just for that purpose. Its very quick and easy. My shop will do it for free at the counter cuz its not rocket science to get this done. Good luck on the project. Next thing you know, you'll be swapping in a hot Avanti V8 with a 5 speed.
                    sals54

Comment

if the head is only warped and not cracked I would just have it planed and keep on rolling. planing it will if anything increase your power, and a flathead six needs all the power it can get!

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
                      X