Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

champion 6 cartridge oil filter, where to hook up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• champion 6 cartridge oil filter, where to hook up?

well my 170 champion 6 didnt come with the "optional" oil filtration system and Im hooking up a canister filter that takes "cartridge filters". I am trying to figure out where to hook the oil lines too. I found an 1/8 pipe plug for the oil return line to hook to on the oil fill/breather tube. just need to know where to draw oil from. anyone have a 6 with a factory filter that can check this out for me? my oil filter cartridge number by the way is "angelsoft toilet tissue" true story

Hi,If noone else comes through shoot me an e-mail so I have an easy return path and I can shoot you a pic of the 51 I have here tommorrow evening.Steve
    sigpic

Comment

strange, I would have thought more people would have oil filters on champion 6's

Comment

I have one but haven't had a chance to go look where it plugs in. I'll try to do that this afternoon.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Ok, I felt guilty about all the help I get and I was going to put you off till this afternoon. Couldn't stand it, so went out and looked.

The tube on the bottom of my canister goes to the bottom of the oil breather/filler tube. The tube on the top of the canister goes to the passenger side of the block above and to the right of the oil pump cover plate. If you have the chassis manual for 47-50 Champions and Commanders, it shows the tubing going there on page 0, plate 01-1.

BTW & FWIW, both metal tubes are covered with a rubber hose. I don't know, don't ask.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

can this sort of set up work on a 55 flathead 185? My car never had an oil filter and I wonder if it would be an easy upgrade.[8D]

Comment

Please be sure to add a restrictor in the oil line that comes out of the block and goes to the oil cleaner inlet. This brass restrictor is needed to prevent too much oil leaving close to the front main bearings and robbing lubrication.
              ...Dick Curtis
              Santa Barbara

The 1950 Champion Starlight
              Santa Barbara
              CA

Comment

The oil feed TO the filter comes from the oil galley just in front of the oil pump. The return FROM the filter goes into the oil fill/breather pipe down where the pipe fits into the block. See official instructions and diagram below:

The standard restrictor may have been .045" diameter, but 0.060" may also have been used. You can buy an .060" orifice in a brass fitting at your FLAPS.

Here's the calculated flow versus pressure for several sizes of orifices (restrictors). These are used to limit flow so that the oil pressure doesn't drop too much. The filter itself won't limit the flow.

Here's where I tapped my Champ 6 engine in my M5 truck with a right-angle fitting. I screwed the orifice into the fitting, then attached the oil line.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard
                web site at http://www.studegarage.com
                Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

supersonictoys; you can connect your Frantz tissue paper Oil Filter as Gary indicated, all Stude. 6's: 169, 170, 185, 226, 245 etc. have the 1/8" pipe plugs in the lifter oil gallery and any one can be used.

You should not need a restrictor fitting on your Frantz, because it is built into the input fitting hole in the center of the base, per SAE spec. but do check for a .040 to .060 hole though.

As long as you add a quart of fresh oil and change the tissue every 1000 to 2000 miles, the engine and the oil will stay clean and not need changing, but I like to change it every year especially if I have not added enough oil and driven enough miles to replenish the Detergents in the Oil.

Bi-pass type filters are coming back now! [:0] Owners of Diesels are realizing that throwing away 10 or 12 Qts. of Oil these days is an environmental issue and mighty expensive, so Frantz filters are being reproduced and other filter Mfg's. like Lube-A-Finer and others are selling their units again for those reasons plus the 3 or 4 makes of Pickups and SUV's are not nearly as hard to find connections and space to mount as all of the hundreds of configurations of tiny crammed engine comp. passenger cars, which I think is a major reason they fell out of use! [:0]

The full-flow filter has always been a good thing, to catch ALL of the oil to get the "rocks" out, but cannot be designed to filter to very few microns, and must have a bi-pass valve to prevent bearing starvation under cold running and clogged filter situations making it non-functional. For those reasons I feel like many others that a "fine" filter is also needed and it WILL prolong oil and engine life.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

As Rich said, a partial flow filter is still a pretty good thing. It will keep the oil clean, even though it might not prevent a "rock" from getting through on the first time through the pump. If you get rocks, though, there are probably other significant problems. The partial flow filter may prevent rocks from happening.

Here's how fast the oil cleans up with a partial flow filter. After about an hour of engine time, there is only about 1 part per million of the dirt that was in the oil one hour earlier. The filter will trap the dirt pretty soon and not leave it in the oil. The graph below is pretty conservative since most filters are much more than 90% efficient.

Gary Ash
                    Gary Ash
                    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                    '48 M5
                    '65 Wagonaire Commander
                    '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

great info guys, got mine all hooked up and running but just as soon as I started the motor I could instantly hear oil and air sputtering into the breather tube. didnt even take 3 seconds for oil to reach the end of the line. turns out my frantz filter is an early model also and was set up for early 1 1/2 inch T.P. rolls and I didnt have the sealing adaptor for the current 1 5/8 rolls. I guess oil was flowing into the center metal tube of the filter ,down around the bottom of the tube, back up through the cardboard toilet paper tube and right back out of the filter , totally bypassing the paper. I'm not one to wait a week for shipping if I dont have to so I will turn a sealing adaptor out on the lathe this morning. I do have another question though. is the filter canister supposed to be mounted hanging from the bracket or upside down with the bracket at the bottom and the canister up in the air? I would have thought the canister should hang but seems like I read somewhere yesterday that it was designed so that the oil would sort of gravity its way through the T.P. . if this is the case I think mine is now mounted upside down!

Comment

this is the part my early model filter was missing. this ring just pushes on to the center tube of the filter and actualy fits just outside the cardboard tube of the toilet paper roll and when a roll of paper is pressed against it ,it slips into the paper creating an oil tight seal. without this ring the early model frantz filter doesn't filter anything.

Comment

also found this diagram and this info explaining that the filter does need to be mounted up in the air, not hanging

Oil enters the filter through the center fitting, flows upward through the center tube and then downward through the filter media. As the clean oil leaves the filter media, it passes through a fine wire screen assembly to the outlet fitting. A 1/16" restrictor orifice is placed in the inlet fitting to control the flow rate through the filter. Because of the low velocity of the oil passing through the dense tissue, it is easily separated from the contaminant particles which are readily disposed of by changing the filter element.

Comment

my home made filter adapter
                            and what I made it out of. I made it a little longer to insure deep penitration into the toilet paper and a better seal. took me about 45 minutes to make.

Comment

here is a pic of my homemade spacer pressed into place. I also had an Idea to improve the units filtering . stands to figure that without this spacer oil could go right through the filter without being filtered at all and even with this spacer in place some oil will still go right back up inside the toilet paper roll and around the spacer then through the tiny bit of paper that is supposed to seal the end . I started thinking of a better way to seal the inside of the tp tube and slipped an oring on the outside of the metal tube and when I tried the TP tube on it fit very well and will totally seal the inside of the tube. it takes a tiny bit more care to install new rolls but once in place it seems it would be a huge improvment in the amount of oil that will actually get filtered. it fits so snugly that when you install an empty TP tube you can see where the o ring is when looking at the outside of the TP tube . the first pic shows my spacer and the oring, second pic shows the tube installed and oring bulge

Comment

Working...
                              X