Opinions Needed - Serial Number Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions Needed - Serial Number Plate

There is a Stude (a '60 Lark hardtop) for sale I am interested in, but I am concerned about the serial number plate. The stamped-in number and letter fonts on this plate are unlike any of my Studebakers, both prior to and after 1960. In addition, it does not appear to be spot welded like all the other 1960s-era Studebakers I have seen.
    What do y'all think:

Thanks, Paul
    Winston-Salem NC
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

It is clearly a fake Serial number plate, on a re-bodied or re-engined car maybe. Is the body tag missing or showing a 60S or some other wrong number.

But of course it would be pretty easy to fake that screwed on body tag to a good 60V from a 60S and the correct model code it they went as far as to install a fake Serial number plate.

I would look on the center of the rear crossmember for the Serial of the frame to find out if it is stolen and what the real number is. [:0]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Yep, the plate is home made, the number stamp is the wrong font.

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Obviously fake, but it could just be that the original was damaged, lost pried off, etc. some time in the car's past, and that the car is still legit. I guess it wouldn't bother me any on a '60 Lark if the owner had a good explanation, or if he has owned the car for a long time. It would bother me on a high bucks car, however...enough that I would most likely pass on the deal.

I owned a Chevy back in the early 70's that was stolen at one time and the original door post VIN taken off. When the owner recovered the car, he just made a new one and attached it.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

If it's the one on eBay that's bringing serious money, I'd be very careful... as Dick said, it could be legit- and probably is; just protect yourself, or pass.

How about possibly having an SDC member go check for that crossmember number? Well worth paying someone to do it on a higher-buck car, for peace of mind, if nothing else. A reputable seller of a car in this price range should be agreeable to this.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Somebody went to some expense to reproduce the plate, but forgot the little half holes that go around it. The label is too low. As for the numbers, way off.

Be wary of this car.

On the other hand it might be legit and somebody accidentally ruined the oringinal plate. I get calls for the decals because PO's had sand blasted them, painted over them, or took them off for a better restoration.

Comment

Working...
            X