Transmission noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission noise

A friend who operates a trans repair shop is having a noise problem with a DG 200/250, several other shops have been into it. They have got it operating fine BUT if you rev it up a bit in park or neutral and release the the pedal a noise reverberates thru the unit. Converter has been rebuilt and cut back open and inspected, the rebuilders claim that all looks OK. Any help that you can give regarding this problem will be appreciated. Thanks in advance Lou Cote [8D]

I believe that this is normal (assuming that this is a rattling noise coming from the converter area) and you're simply not supposed to do that I think I read this somewhere either in the '55 shop manual or in a service letter. If the trans is working well otherwise I would try to verify this and simply advise the owner of the car...

what kind of noise are we talking about?

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

"When the pedal is released" Sounds like the torque of the motor is causing interference when it rocks back to rest position. Maybe there is metal to metal contact at the mount area at that instant, causing trans noise to be telegraphed when it is normally isolated.

Comment

On the later Flighto's you could get a similar sound from the frotn pump...?

Comment

Nate, not sure what it sounds like ,shop owner I used to work with called and asked if I could offer any ideas/suggestions. He is on vacation for a few days, maybe when he gets back I could get a listen to it. It is only about a 55 mile round trip away. Thanks Lou Cote [8D]

Comment

Does anybody have a copy of that service bulletin describing that problem? If you do, could you scan it and attach a copy to your reply? Thanks again Lou Cote [8D] Found the sun today

Comment

FWIW you are not supposed to rev the DG trans as it can cause it to hydraulically engage and create all kinds of havoc. This can occur while the selector is in P or N.
              Use great caution and always set the park brake and keep your foot on the brakes.
              Rob

Comment

I guess this is the bulletin referred to, but I'm not sure it applies to a noise on decel. As buddymander says, you might want to check mounts, exhaust pipes, etc. I'd suspect the flex plate too, but it was probably just replaced........wasn't it?

Dwain G.
                So.....if I'm 'pre-approved' why do you want me to fill out an application?

Comment

Thanks to those that took the time to help solve this dilemma. I got a little more background on the car, seems that there are somethings that is drawing the battery. The generator is not charging enough, so the owner or his minions hit it with the jump box, then goose to get charge rate up, rattles on decell. Hey Mike which rock have you hiding under, missed you at last two meets. Lou Cote [8D]

Comment

Working...
                  X