Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

M5 distributor goof - turn lower shaft 180?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M5 distributor goof - turn lower shaft 180?

My old distributor was worn and a buddy gave me a much better one. The "new" one was checked out and serviced. NO ONE noticed that the "new" distributor drive shaft was 180 degrees out of phase with the shaft on the old distributor -until I tried to install it. Phooey!!

They are both Auto-lite GC 4805 models, but the old is a 7B and the new is a 8D. We've tried to punch out the pin on the shaft so that the lower section can be rotated 180 and the pin re-installed, but the pin doesn't want to move and I don't want to use the sledge (yet).

Will removal of the clip with the ears located under the felt under the rotor allow us to rotate the rotor in relation to the shaft?

Any other possibilities? I really would rather NOT change all the positions of the ignition wires -and then if you did, how would you time it?

Can a real amateur get out of this without too much anguish? Help!

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
    47 M-5
    Izzer Buggy
    Junior Wagon
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

Seems odd that it is a problem.... the pin on the shaft will come out. The bottom line is your signature...153624.... is the "new" distributor oil pump drive the same as the "old" drive?? I cannot picture a blade on the end of a shaft as 180 degrees out....

1955 President one owner
    Moncks Corner, SC

Comment

Like rockfoot, I'm having a hard time visualizing the problem...but worse case and it absolutely has to remain 180 out, there is no problem moving the plug wires around the cap by the same amount. It will time exactly the same.

(have you tried moving the oil pump drive 180 to match the new disty?)

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Will the oil pump drive move if I just turn the rotor when a distrubutor is installed? That would be almost too simple!!

Yeah, the blades are offset slightly so that a distributor can only be installed in one position. Hence my problem.

The rotors on the "old" and "new" distibutors are pointing in opposite directions when each is installed inthe engine.

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
        47 M-5
        Izzer Buggy
        Junior Wagon
        Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by STEWDI

Will the oil pump drive move if I just turn the rotor when a distrubutor is installed?
          No, because at that point, the distributor is also connected to the camshaft.

I'm not totally familiar with these motors, but seems to me that with the disty out, you should be able to reach in to the oil pump drive (screwdriver, needlenose pliers) and rotate the oil pump drive 180.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Looking at engine diagram in manual, it seems the forked end of the distributor shaft engages a pin in the end of a shaft that comes from the oil pump. The oil pump shaft has a gear that engages the camshaft. Rats. Therefore, the oil pump cannot be rotated with pliers/screwdriver.

Is there a Champion doctor in the house?

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
            47 M-5
            Izzer Buggy
            Junior Wagon
            Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Put engine on #1 TDC, compression. Install distributor and make 1# one where ever the rotor points. Install rest of wires by firing order in
              direction of distributor rotation.

Comment

I guess re-gigging the ignition wires is the answer. Thanks.

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
                47 M-5
                Izzer Buggy
                Junior Wagon
                Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

As has already been stated, you can move the wires. But, if you want to, you can remove the breaker plate, remove the counterweight springs and lift the cam part of the shaft out. Turn 180 and reverse and reinstall.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

I phoned Bill Cathcart to get his advice. Answer was to Remove the clip under the rotor, take the distributor plate off, lift off the rotorshaft assembly and turn it 180, and re-install said shaft, plate and clip. No need to remove weights or springs. Simple when you know how.

Installed the distributor, adjusted the ignition timing, and - voila - an M5 that purrs like a Champion 6 should. The timing was off before this work 'cause now there is more power (and I'm thankful for that)!!

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
                    47 M-5
                    Izzer Buggy
                    Junior Wagon
                    Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Working...
                    X