heat shield for 6-cyl manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heat shield for 6-cyl manifold

I have searched for heat shields, fuel line shields, and manifold shields and can't find what I want.

I have read in the recent past posts referring to building a heat shield to prevent vapor lock on the flathead 6. Have tried a couple of fixes and they haven't worked, so want to try this. I feel good about designing one myself, but am willing to take a proven design and use it.

Thanks

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

I don't have the '50 books, but a '51 champ came stock with a shield over the fuel pump...

It's 0301-20 in this illustration, which is Studebaker part number 527874

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

1947 to 1954; still listed as available in the SI catalog.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks Dick and Brad. Although the carb is in a different location on mine creating a very slightly different fuel line route, the diagram definitely answered a question I had. I couldn't decide whether to deflect more fan air to the manifold or to the fuel line, and this shows that there is more deflection toward the fuel line. I think this will solve my design issues in making a shield.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jims53

Bob, I made this heat shield up for my 245ci truck engines out of some stainless steel, looks good last along time...

Looks REAL good!

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I run my 41 Commander with both the fuel pump stud mounted shield shown by Dick, and a stock version of the tappet cover mounted one shown by Jim53. They end up about a half an inch apart, and I've never had any heat related problems.

Comment

A friend of mine with a Corvair had some vapor lock problems. He fabricated a heat shield, which helped greatly. But, he also bought a heat-reflective sleeve to slip over the fuel lines. That would look rather un-stock, but it can help when the fuel line is passing right by the exhaust manifold, especially since our fuel nowadays (with ethanohol) is prone to evaporate more easily.

[img=left]http://simps.us/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]
              Paul Simpson
              "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon
              Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
              "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon
              Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

If I'm looking at both deflectors correctly, and both are mounted, it seems like they would be almost parallel to each other all the way from front to back. Only the tappet mounted one would be higher than the fuel pump mounted one. Is that the way yours is, Skyway? Don't really understand why two would be needed if I bring the front 'flap' up nice and high.

I did find some heat reflective sleeving at a hot-rod shop which I am keeping in mind. It's expensive, in my mind, at $50 for 2 sleeves about 5 inches long and different diameters.

And yes, that stainless steel is very pretty. Would put the rest of the engine to shame.

BTW, I have now declared my Champion to be a dependable driver.

Comment

Yes, they are parellel. Don't know if the second one really helps or not, but I had them both, and thought "what the heck". Seemed to me that the two ought to provide better insulation between pump and manifold. PS. My 1941 has electric wipers, and thus no vacuum dome on the fuel pump.

Comment

On a semi-related topic, the fuel line on my '51 Commander has a woven asbestos tube covering it from the pump to the carb. It passes directly over the driver's side exhaust manifold and I've never had a vapor lock problem.

I often had a problem in the '53, where the fuel line was well forward of the engine heat.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                    X